Register of public roads
VicRoads Register of Public Roads contains information about the freeways, arterial roads and other roads throughout Victoria, for which VicRoads has responsibilities under the Road Management Act 2004.
VicRoads, Councils and other road authorities each have separate Registers of Public Roads.
VicRoads is generally responsible for the overall management and development of the major arterial component of Victoria’s road network (i.e. the declared roads being freeways, arterial roads and some non-arterial state roads), which make up around 15% of the roads in the state. For more information, see Victoria's road network page.
Download the register
The Register was published in 2009 however it is updated periodically on this website. The information (as applicable) is only current from the ‘published date’ and the ‘date of publication’ as shown in Part A of the document.
If you need more up to date information, submit a request marked attention Integration Services - Survey and Declaration through the feedback form.
Maps of Declared Roads
Maps of Declared Roads is an interactive internet application to view, search and print electronic maps of roads in Victoria and identify freeways, arterial roads and other roads referred to in VicRoads Register of Public Roads. This map is not part of the VicRoads register and is for general information purposes only.
Contact details for road authorities
The following list provides contact details for the various road authorities and for reporting incidents.
- Emergency road conditions, traffic signal faults, freeway help phones, traffic accidents and delays within Victoria, phone 13 11 70 (24 hour service).
- Road maintenance, call 13 11 71 (Monday to Friday 8.30 am - 5.30 pm, Saturday 8:30am - 2:00pm).
- Information on who is responsible for managing the roads, call VicRoads regional offices on 13 11 71.
- Road classifications, road alignments or boundaries and any plans or gazetted notices referenced in the Register, contact [email protected] or call (03) 9854 2106. Prior bookings must be made to view, at 60 Denmark Street, Kew any VicRoads plans referenced in the Register.
- Archived copies of the Register, contact [email protected]
- General enquiries should be submitted through the feedback form.
- Matters concerning the operation or maintenance of Melbourne CityLink (Western and Southern Links) and Exhibition Street Extension (Batman Avenue) tollways, such as reporting a road hazard, should be directed to CityLink by call on 13 26 29.
- Matters concerning the operation or maintenance of EastLink, such as reporting a road hazard, should be directed to ConnectEast by calling (03) 9955 1700.