Memorandum of Authorisation permits

You will need a Memorandum of Authorisation (MoA) permit from VicRoads to manage traffic and install temporary traffic control devices at a worksite or event such as fun runs, filming or street markets on a freeway or arterial road.

Step 1: Determine if VicRoads is the coordinating road authority 

You can determine what the type of road is and the responsible coordinating road authority by searching the Map of Declared Roads.

  • VicRoads is the responsible road authority for arterial roads and freeways.
  • The local municipal council is the responsible road authority for local roads within the designated municipality. 
  • The relevant authority is the responsible coordinating road authority for non-arterial State roads eg Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Alpine Boards, etc. 

Step 2: Engage a VicRoads prequalified Traffic Management Company 

If you are conducting works on an arterial road or conducting an event on an arterial road you must engage a Traffic Management Company (TMC) prequalified or accredited by VicRoads to design a traffic management plan and to manage traffic on site.

You can find a TMC qualified to work on arterial roads by visiting our accredited traffic management companies list.

Step 3: Developing a Traffic Management Plan 

The TMC will prepare a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) in accordance with the Code of Practice for Worksite Safety - Traffic Management.

A TMP helps to ensure the safety of a worksite for workers, road users and passers-by and minimises impacts to road users, adjacent landowners and public transport.  

Step 4: Applying for an MoA permit

If the TMP identifies the need to manage traffic and install temporary traffic control devices, the TMC will need to apply for an MoA permit from VicRoads. Only accredited TMCs can apply for an MoA permit.  

The TMC will need to provide a description of the works or activity, the necessary road or lane closures, expected delays, speed limits and traffic control devices as part of the MoA permit application.

The following documents should be submitted as part of the MoA application.  

Step 5: Submitting an MoA permit application

From 17 October, new MoA permit applications must be submitted through the new Road Access Permits Portal.

Only accredited traffic management companies can apply for an MoA permit, to work on a DoT declared road. Access to RAPP is organised as part of the Accreditation process and an individual in each organisation has the ability to create accounts for staff members. Please contact the area within your organisation who manages Accreditation to set up your account or visit the Accreditation program webpage to find out more about how to apply for Accreditation. If you are unsure if your traffic management company has an RAPP account, please email [email protected].

There are also a range of training materials, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and contact us details on the RAPP webpage to help you use RAPP to submit MoA permit applications.

Please note the process for applying for the below permits remains unchanged until further notice:

  • Big Build MoA and WWRR permits (i.e. LXRP, West Gate Tunnel, Metro Tunnel, NELP)
  • Special Events MoA permits
  • MoA related Utility notifications (currently submitted to DoT Roadworks Permits Team)
  • MoA and WWRR extension and change requests before authorisation 
  • MRPV MoA permits

Please continue to submit all MoA extension and change requests to [email protected], even if the original application was submitted through RAPP. 

MoA permit application fees (VicRoads only)

An application for an MoA permit submitted to VicRoads in the future will require payment of an application fee in accordance with Regulation 24 of the new Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2019.

The fees which are yet to be implemented will be based on the following structure:

How Traffic Control Device is to be used Fee Value
  • Does not require closure of any traffic lanes.

  • Requires closure of one or more traffic lanes.

  • Requires closure of a road.
4.76 fee units ($72.80)

15.46 fee units ($236.40)

40.43 fee units ($618.20)

Note: The fees are expressed in ‘fee units’, with the equivalent dollar ($) value amount in brackets (2022/23 values).

Other permissions and fees to conduct works or run events on a freeway or arterial road

Code of Practice under the Road Management Act

This code provides practical guidance to any person conducting, or proposing to conduct, any works on roads in Victoria.

Consent to work on the road

If you are conducting work within the arterial road reserve you will need to apply to VicRoads for consent and pay a consent application fee. 

Events and filming on arterial roads  

If you want to film on Victoria’s roads, or if you want to organise an event like a fun run, cycle race or street fair, you must apply for a permit from the relevant road authority.

These special events are considered "non-road activities".

Road Occupation Charge

If you are a developer or private party wanting to occupy space (part of a lane or more), you will need to pay a Road Occupation Charge in certain metropolitan suburbs. 


Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).