Agricultural machinery

Requirements for the movement of oversize and overmass agricultural machinery.

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) manages the access of heavy vehicles (including agricultural vehicles) to ensure a safe, efficient and sustainable road network for industry.

The NHVR coordinates a range of access applications from start to finish, liaising directly with road managers (state and territory road authorities and local government) to manage applications and issue permits.

Mass and dimension limits

Details of agricultural vehicle mass and dimension limits and their operating conditions are described in the Victoria Class 1 Agricultural Vehicle Exemption Notice 2018 (No.3) on the NHVR website.

The purpose of this Notice is to exempt stated categories of Class 1 heavy vehicles from the prescribed mass and dimension requirements specified in the Notice.

Information relating to the boundaries of the agricultural areas of operation, exempted routes and prohibited routes are set out in the Victorian Class 1 Oversize & Overmass (OSOM) Route Access Lists.

Do you need an agricultural vehicle permit?

You must apply for a Class 1 agricultural vehicle permit if your agricultural vehicle does not comply with mass, dimension or operating requirements set out in the Notice above.

Journeys across borders

The NHVR processes all permit applications for Class 1 Over-size, Over-mass (OSOM), agricultural machinery and Special Purpose Vehicles (SPV) journeys across borders. Download the Agricultural vehicle permit application form on the NHVR website.

Journeys within Victoria

To apply for an access permit for Class 1 OSOM, agricultural machinery and SPV for routes entirely within Victoria, visit our Access Permits page. 

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...