Victorian Road Freight Advisory Council
The Victorian Road Freight Advisory Council (VRFAC) provides advice to VicRoads on the development, planning, regulation and operation of road freight in Victoria. It comprises members from industry and government.
Terms of Reference
The Victorian Road Freight Advisory Council (VRFAC) provides a forum for discussion on issues affecting the road freight industry in Victoria. Its role is to provide advice to VicRoads on road freight transport including:
- road transport efficiency
- community, and
- environmental issues.
Focus of activities
The VRFAC principally focuses on strategy, policy and regulatory development, rather than on particular local or regional issues. The VRFAC draws on its expertise and various sources to ensure the advice reflects consideration of a broad range of interests, including:
- taking a statewide view on strategic issues of relevance to all freight sectors with road transport as an inter-connecting activity
- providing a forum for consultation, exchange of information and ideas between the freight industry, Government agencies and departments, and the community
- providing advice in relation to strategic, policy or regulatory problems faced by the road freight transport chain, and
- assisting with the resolution of policy matters and key issues from the activities of the Truck Operations Committee and the Enforcement Liaison Committee.
Meetings and members
The VRFAC meets quarterly in March, May, August and November each year. The appointed Chairperson of the VRFAC is the Chief Executive of VicRoads.
Membership of the VRFAC is made up of representatives from the following organisations, providing a balanced mix of members from industry and government:
- Royal Automobile Club of Victoria
- Port of Melbourne Corporation
- Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
- Transport Workers Union (Vic/Tas Branch)
- Livestock Transporters’ Association of Victoria
- Municipal Association of Victoria
- Victorian Transport Association
- Victoria Police
- National Transport Commission
- WorkSafe Victoria
- Victorian Farmers Federation
- Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce
- National Heavy Vehicle Regulator.
For further information on the VRFAC please call VicRoads on 13 11 71 and ask for Road Transport Policy.