How to apply for, renew & manage your LVT licence

Find out the steps required to apply for, renew, change or cancel your Licensed Vehicle Tester licence.

Before you proceed with the LVT application process, you’ll need to fill out a pre-approval application and understand the requirements for your workshop. You’ll still need to apply for a LVT licence even if you have purchased a LVT workshop. The licence is not transferable.

Before you begin your application, you need to read the Licensed Vehicle Testers Licence Conditions [PDF 387 Kb].

A Licensed Vehicle Tester (LVT) is referred to as Licence Tester in the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2021 (External link).

We recommend not purchasing any additional roadworthy equipment until we’ve confirmed your pre-application and you’ve successfully completed your accredited training.

Are you eligible to become an LVT?

A criminal record may affect your ability to be granted a LVT licence. All Business Directors and testing staff must not have any outstanding charges or have been convicted of:

  • any offences which indicates poor judgement of character or dishonesty in the last ten years
  • failing to notify police while being the driver of a vehicle which was involved in an accident which resulted in the injury of persons or damage to property
  • an offence involving the risk of injury to the public within the last ten years.

You’ll need to give us an original National Police Certificate (External link) from Victoria Police or Australian Federal Police for yourself as the licence applicant and for anyone you wish to have as a testing mechanic (issued within the previous three months) as part of your pre-approval application. This can take up to six weeks to obtain.

If you’re eligible to apply for a LVT licence, there are a few steps in the process to complete before you get your licence

  1. Submit your pre-approval application [PDF 106 Kb] and application fee (cheque only)
  2. We’ll assess your eligibility and let you know within ten business days of what your next step is
  3. You’ll then need to complete the required accredited training
  4. Have a final interview with us at your work premises
  5. We’ll notify you of the outcome of your application (if you’re successful you’ll need to pay a Licence Start-Up Fee)

Step 1: Pre-approval application

You need to complete the pre-approval application [PDF 106 Kb] and submit all the required documents. We’ll assess whether you can continue with the next steps of the application process.

Along with your form, you’ll need to pay the pre-application assessment fee (cheque only). This fee is for processing your application. This fee is non-refundable, even if your application isn’t approved. Incomplete applications will be rejected, and you’ll need to pay the fee again in full to re-submit.

For an individual operating your own workshop you’ll need to provide:
  • the completed pre-approval application form [PDF 106 Kb]
  • an original National Police Certificate (External link) from Victoria Police *
  • a certified copy of your mechanical qualifications 
  • a detailed outline of history as a motor mechanic involved in the repair and inspection of motor vehicles, including verifiable references
  • detailed floor plan of premises/workshop
  • a completed pre-application workshop inspection checklist which is attached on the pre-approval application form
  • photos of workshop including: Building exterior, customer parking area, main workshop entrance, hoist area, customer area etc. Read more about the workshop equipment
  • payment for pre-approval application (cheque only). 

For a company application you’ll need to provide:

For each additional employee nominated as testing staff as part of your licence pre-application:

  • a list of all nominated testing staff including divers licence number on company letterhead 
  • an original National Police Certificate (External link) from Victoria Police *
  • a certified copy of their mechanical qualifications
  • a detailed outline of history as a motor mechanic involved in the repair and inspection of motor vehicles, including verifiable references.

* Note: Non-Victorian applicants will need to apply for a National Police Certificate in the jurisdiction of their address. Overseas applicants must apply for a National Police Certificate issued by the Australian Federal Police. No other certificates will be accepted.

You can submit your pre-approval application with all the required documents and application fee by mailing it to Vehicle Safety and Compliance Group, 60 Denmark Street, Kew, Vic, 3101.

Step 2: Outcome of pre-approval

We’ll review the submitted documents and assess whether you’re eligible to apply for a LVT licence and outline the next steps for you. You’ll receive an email with your outcome within ten business days.

Step 3: Complete accredited training

You need to attend and successfully complete the accreditation training. This training can only be accessed if you’ve been granted pre-approval from us. The type of accredited training depends on the vehicle category being applied for. 

See a full list of providers and training courses at accredited training for LVT.

Company Directors need to complete the Licenced Vehicle Tester Administration course.

Testing staff need to complete the relevant Tester training and Structural Awareness course for the categories being applied for.

Once all accreditation training is completed, you’ll need to send us a Application to authorise employee [PDF 95 Kb] form for each testing mechanic.

Step 4: Final review of applicants and workshop premises

If you’ve successfully completed your training you need to ensure your workshop is correctly equipped for the types of vehicles that’ll be tested.

A final review will be the last step of the licence approval process. The review will be onsite at your workshop premises. You’ll be contacted to arrange a suitable time for this review once we’ve been advised of you successfully completing the accredited training.

The review will cover the following subjects, where you and/or your nominated staff may be assessed on your knowledge of the:

  1. Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2021 (External link)
  2. Licensed Vehicle Testers & Examiners Accreditation Course Manual
  3. VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information sheets
  4. VicRoads Licensed vehicle testers web pages - how to use and locate information on the Licensed vehicle testers pages
  5. Vehicle inspection process, including the use and understanding of mandatory testing equipment
  6. Correct procedures of required bookwork.
You’ll also need to agree and abide by the Licensed Vehicle Testers Licence Conditions [PDF 387 Kb].

Step 5: LVT licence outcome

You’ll be notified of the outcome within ten business days of the final review.

If your application is successful, you’ll need to pay the Licence Start-Up Kit Fee (cheque only). Once the payment has been received, the start-up kit will be posted out and you can begin testing.

Any questions?

If you have any questions about the application process:

email: [email protected]
call: Vehicle Safety and Compliance on 1300 309 571

VicRoads will send you your renewal notice.

To renew your LVT licence follow these steps.

  • Print, read and sign the Licensed Vehicle Tester licence conditions. Sign each page and retain in the tester’s own filing system.
  • Conduct an audit of the licence operation using the Licensed Vehicle Tester audit checklist [DOC 127 Kb]. Rectify all identified audit issues. The checklist is then to be retained in the testers own roadworthy filing system and must be available to the VicRoads auditors.
  • Complete the renewal form including signing the declaration and post your renewal notice with the nominated renewal fee to:

Vehicle Fitness Section
60 Denmark Street
KEW VIC 3101

If you did not receive your renewal notice

If for some reason the renewal does not arrive, it is your responsibility to call VicRoads Vehicle Fitness Section on 1300 309 571 and arrange payment. You must not test vehicles if the licence has expired.


Changing company directors

If you have a change in directors in your company following the resignation of a director, you must provide VicRoads Vehicle Fitness section with:

  • an Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract showing the new directors.

The new director will have to:

  • provide a National Police Certificate (original) obtained from the Victorian Police or Australian Federal Police issued no longer than 3 months prior to this application
  • provide a certified copy of the LVT Administration training course Certificate & Card (front and back). Note: The Administration course must have been completed by the new director no longer than 6 months prior to this application unless the director is, or has recently been, the director of another Licensed Vehicle Tester.
  • provide a certified copy of their driver’s licence (front and back)
  • post an Application to authorise employee form [PDF 366 Kb] with the supporting documentation listed above to:

Vehicle Fitness Section
60 Denmark Street
KEW VIC 3101

Change of address or additional premises for testing vehicles

Any changed or additional premises must comply with the same premises and equipment requirements as a new licence application.

Complete the Request to change licensed premises details [PDF 179 Kb] and post it to us.

Sites cannot be shared and each site must have the required equipment. The VicRoads Vehicle Fitness section must be notified in writing (see form) and testing cannot occur at the new site until permission has been granted.

A fee is payable for each site change.

Adding staff to your licence

When you employ suitably qualified staff who have completed the appropriate Licensed Vehicle Tester accredited training and you want them to test vehicles or sign certificates:

Keep a copy of the application and associated documentation in your own roadworthy filing system.

Notify VicRoads when audit issues have been resolved

Following the resolution of issues identified during an audit, you must notify VicRoads by:

Note: Keep a copy of your Corrective Action Response Sheet in your own roadworthy filing system.

Adding other vehicle test categories

There are a number of testing categories and the type of vehicle the business normally deals in will determine the category of licence issued. The vehicle categories are:

  • LV - Light Vehicles (vehicles up to 4.5 tonne GVM including trailers)
  • MC - Motorcycles and Trikes (1 front, 2 rear wheels and handlebar steering). Note: Trikes are tested at the discretion of the tester as a car driver’s licence and an accessible workshop are required. 
  • HV - Heavy Vehicles (vehicles over 4.5 tonne GVM including trailers)
  • LB - Buses (vehicles with 10 or more seats including the driver)
  • LP - Is in addition to LV or HV and allows the inspection of LPG equipped vehicles. Note: LPG equipped vehicles can only be tested by mechanics who hold LPG accreditation.

To add other vehicle test categories:

  • check the Licensed vehicle tester licence conditions [PDF 248 Kb] and the licence application information to ensure that you have suitable premises for the category you want to add and determine any additional equipment needed
  • check that your staff possess the training and accreditation requirements to inspect that class of vehicle. They must also hold the appropriate drivers licence
  • send a written request to the VicRoads Vehicle Fitness Section including:
    • copies of qualifications and accreditation
    • photographs showing the workshop area to be used
    • photographs of any mandatory equipment.

Taxi and Bus inspection requests should be discussed with the VicRoads Vehicle Fitness section before applying as special conditions apply.

Selling the business that holds the License Vehicle Tester (LVT) licence

If you have sold your business, and it was your only licensed premises, the LVT licence must be surrendered immediately.

If you have sold the business at the licensed premises and are re-opening the same business at another premises, you must complete a Request to change licensed premises details form [PDF 179 Kb] and post to:

Vehicle Fitness Section
60 Denmark Street
KEW VIC 3101

The new site must have the required equipment and meet the licence conditions. Testing cannot occur at the new site until permission from VicRoads has been granted.

A Licensed Vehicle Tester licence cannot be transferred to a new owner.

The company holding the licence is sold

If the company that buys the business has a different ACN to the existing licence holder then the current licence must be surrendered immediately and the new company will need to apply for a licence.

If the company buying the business already has a licence they will need to apply for an additional or change of premises. The company selling their business must surrender their licence immediately.

If the company that sold the business has other premises that are still operating under the control of the original licensed company, then all books and documents should go to that company.

A Licensed Vehicle Tester licence cannot be transferred to a new company.

Surrendering the licence

To surrender your licensed vehicle tester licence:

  • notify VicRoads Vehicle Fitness section in writing
  • return any unused books of certificates and any used books that are less than three years old
  • any additional books must be retained for a period of seven years. Any books that are disposed of after seven years must be destroyed in accordance with privacy requirements.

The VicRoads Vehicle Fitness section can be contacted by:

  • email [email protected]
  • fax on (03) 9854 2553
  • post to VicRoads, Vehicle Fitness Section, 60 Denmark Street, Kew VIC 3101
  • call 1300 309 571 for LVT application enquiries 
  • call 13 11 71 for general enquires.

If you have a complaint regarding the roadworthy process, refer to the complaint process described at Get a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).