About the Victorian Alcohol Interlock Program

When you get your licence* back after a drink-driving offence, you'll need to use an alcohol interlock in any vehicle you drive.

Changes to court order and alcohol interlock requirements from 1 December 2019

From 1 December, there will be changes to some drink driving laws. To see what’s changing and how it may affect you, go to Changes to court order and alcohol interlock requirements.

Learn more

As soon as you install your alcohol interlock, you'll be a participant in the Victorian Alcohol Interlock Program.

* Licence means any Victorian learner permits and/or driver/motorcycle licence.

What's an alcohol interlock?

An alcohol interlock is an electronic breath testing device that prevents a vehicle from starting if it detects alcohol. The alcohol interlock also requests breath tests during your trip. It records all breath tests and any attempts to drive with alcohol present on your breath.

Alcohol interlocks can be installed in most vehicles with an ignition including motorcycles. Only VicRoads approved alcohol interlocks can be used in the Victorian Alcohol Interlock Program. They must be installed by authorised alcohol interlock suppliers or their service agents.

How do I complete the Program?

You'll need to use the alcohol interlock for at least the period of time that applies for your drink-driving offence. The data recorded by your alcohol interlock is downloaded at each regular service and is used to make decisions about whether you've successfully completed the Program. Once you prove that you've separated drinking from driving, you can apply to have your alcohol interlock 'I' condition removed.

Who should I contact about the Program?

If you've got questions about the Victorian Alcohol Interlock Program, contact our team on 1300 723 790 or email [email protected]

Note: If you have an issue with your alcohol interlock, you'll need to contact your supplier on the support number they gave you when you signed up and installed the interlock.

How long will I need an interlock?

The minimum length of time you'll need an interlock depends on:

  • when your offence was committed
  • the type of offence you committed, and your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) reading
  • if this was your first offence.

If you have violations or don't follow the rules of the program, you'll need to keep the interlock for longer.

See our drink-driving penalties page to find out more about drink-driving offences and the penalties that apply.

How can I get my interlock removed?

You’ll need to use an interlock for a minimum length of time, but you may need it for longer if you break the Program rules or have violations. Your interlock won’t be removed until you can prove that you’ve learned to separate drinking from driving.

You might also need to complete the Pre-Interlock Removal Behaviour Change Program.

For more information, see Completing the Alcohol Interlock Program.

Alcohol interlocks have cameras

All alcohol interlocks fitted after 30 January 2015 have a camera. The camera takes a number of pictures during each trip, for example when a breath test is recorded to start the car and when it is requested during a trip. These pictures provide a record of who's driving.

It's important you blow in to the alcohol interlock so that the camera can take a clear full face image of you each time. Unless the image clearly shows someone else, it'll be assumed that you're the driver which may attribute to a violation being imposed on your AIMS record. Furthermore, in order to meet the minimum drive criteria there will need to be at least 2 full face images of yourself driving the vehicle each month.

Motorcycles are exempt from the requirement to fit a camera.

Medical exemptions from an alcohol interlock condition

You can apply for a medical exemption from the Alcohol Interlock Program if:

  • you have a medical condition that prevents you from using an alcohol interlock and
  • you can provide evidence (a report from a medical specialist) that you can't use an alcohol interlock.

If you apply for a medical exemption, we'll also assess whether your health allows you to continue driving.

To apply for an exemption, you'll need to complete the Interlock Exemption or Removal on Medical Grounds application form [PDF, 210KB].

If you have any questions about an alcohol interlock medical exemption:

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.