Getting your licence back

Find out how to get your licence* back after it has been cancelled due to a drink and/or drug related driving offence.

Legal requirements for drink-driving and drug-driving can be complex. It’s strongly recommended that you follow the steps to get your licence back such as completing your cancellation period, any other bans (including medical review and demerit point suspensions) and meeting all your relicensing requirements.

*Licence means any Victorian learner permits and/or driver/motorcycle licence.

If you have committed a drink or drug driving offence, you will need to complete a Drink and Drug Driver Behaviour Change Program (BCP) before you can get your licence back.

The BCP is designed to help you to identify the underlying reason for your drink and/or drug driving offence and to help you to identify actions to reduce the risk of re-offending in the future. 

There are 3 types of programs: 

  • Drink Driver Program
  • Drug Driver Program
  • Intensive Drink and Drug Driver Program.

The specific type of program you need to complete depends on the details of your offence. You’ll receive a letter in the mail from us telling you which BCP to book into. 

If you meet all the participation requirements at the end of the program, you’ll receive a Certificate of Completion. To learn more about each program, go to Behaviour Change Program

Anyone who has been disqualified from driving for a drink driving offence is required to install and use a VicRoads approved alcohol interlock in any vehicle they drive. An alcohol interlock prevents a vehicle from starting if the driver has been drinking alcohol and records any attempts to drive with alcohol present.
Before installing an alcohol interlock, make sure you are eligible to be relicensed and don’t have any other driving bans due to start.

You must install an alcohol interlock before you get your licence back. You’ll need to arrange for someone else to drive you to a service agent to have the alcohol interlock fitted and to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have your licence reissued.

Alcohol interlock suppliers

 It’s recommended that you contact all approved alcohol interlock suppliers and compare the cost of installing, leasing and servicing an interlock, the location of the service agents and service arrangements. 

The alcohol interlock supplier you choose will train you to use the interlock and provide you with the instructions. The instructions must be followed by anyone who drives the vehicle.

Go to Find an alcohol interlock supplier to learn more.

Interlock Installation Certificate
An Interlock Installation Certificate will be issued as evidence that a Victorian approved interlock has been installed. This certificate is required for you to get relicensed.
Download the Alcohol Interlock Installation Certificate [PDF 122 Kb] and complete the Applicant section of the certificate and include your client number.
Your client number is listed as a reference on correspondence you’ve received from us about your cancellation and is also detailed on your BCP certificate of completion. If you don’t have access to your client number, you will need to visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre with evidence of your identity to be given your client number.
Get your interlock service agent to sign and complete the Interlock Installation Certificate as evidence that an approved interlock has been installed. 

Before applying for a new licence, you must ensure you’ve completed your cancellation period, any other bans you may have, and completed all licensing requirements. 

VicRoads managed drink drivers

You’re a VicRoads managed driver, if you don’t need to go to court for a Licence Eligibility Order at the end of your cancellation period. This means you can apply directly to VicRoads to get your licence back. Your alcohol interlock use and removal are also managed by VicRoads.

Examples of offences that don’t require you to go to court include the below offences detected anywhere in Australia and your licence was cancelled:

Examples of offences that don’t require you to go to court include the below offences detected anywhere in Australia and your licence was cancelled:

  • drink-driving at any BAC level 
  • repeat drink driving
  • combined drink and drug driving
  • driving under the influence of alcohol
  • offences relating to refusing to be tested for alcohol, such as refusing a breath test.

Court managed drivers

You’ll need to get a Licence Eligibility Order before VicRoads can give you a new licence.

A Licence Eligibility Order from a Magistrates’ Court is required for the following types of offences:

  • all drug-driving offences where your licence is cancelled.
  • serious motor vehicle offences such as culpable driving, dangerous driving (causing serious injury or death) or motor vehicle theft that may have involved alcohol and/or drugs.
  • all offences relating to refusing to be tested for drugs.

If the court requires you to install an alcohol interlock, your interlock use and removal are managed by VicRoads, not the court.

How to prepare for a Licence Eligibility Order hearing

For information about applying for a Licence Eligibility Order (LEO), go to or you can visit your local Magistrates’ Court to learn more.

At least 28 days before your licence cancellation ends, organise your LEO court hearing with a Magistrates’ Court. The court will fix a hearing date at least 28 days ahead, but not before your cancellation ends.

Make sure you find out which documents are required for the LEO hearing. You may be asked to show your BCP certificate of completion or a record of your driving history. If you need to provide your driver history report, visit Check driver history to order a copy.

You may be asked to have an interview with Victoria Police before the court hearing.

The court will decide whether to issue you with a LEO and you will need to bring that order with you when applying to be relicensed at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.

To get your licence reissued, visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre and bring the following: 

If you haven’t held a current Australian or overseas driver licence in the last five years or you need to have an expired motorcycle learner permit reissued, you’ll need to be re-tested before your licence or learner permit is issued. 

Licence conditions

Your ‘I’ and ‘Z’ conditions 

When you get your licence reissued, it will have an ‘I’ and a ‘Z’ condition. 

‘I’ condition
The ‘I’ stands for alcohol interlock and means that you must have an alcohol interlock fitted to any vehicle you drive. Your alcohol interlock use will be assessed by VicRoads when you are eligible to complete the Alcohol Interlock Program and apply for removal of this licence condition. 

‘Z’ condition
The ‘Z’ stands for ‘zero BAC’ and means that you must have a zero blood alcohol concentration whenever you drive. This restriction applies to all drivers (for offences involving alcohol and/or drugs) for at least three years from the time they’re reissued with a licence.

If you’re relicensed with a probationary licence or learner permit, a zero BAC limit automatically applies so the ‘Z’ condition won’t be shown on your licence. 

You’ll need to carry your licence with you when driving.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).