Stage 1 - Reporting

Discover who can report a medical condition or disability to VicRoads, and learn what happens next.

To keep our roads safe, we rely on you to self-monitor your driving safety.

You’re legally required to tell VicRoads if you have or develop, a long-term medical condition, disability, or injury that could affect your fitness to drive. You also need to tell VicRoads if your driving ability might be compromised by the effects of medical treatment or medication.  

Who can make a report to VicRoads?

Reporting medical conditions and disabilities

The police, doctors, community members, family and friends can report their concerns about your medical condition or disability and its effect on your ability to drive safely. They can report their concerns by notifying VicRoads, and they can do this anonymously. 

People who make a report in good faith are protected from legal action, and we won’t share their identity without their consent (unless it is required by law).

If we receive a report about your driving safety, we’re required by law to investigate, even if you have a perfect driving record. 

Our role is to make sure that all drivers in Victoria meet national medical standards for drivers.

Reporting risky driving behaviour

Anyone in the community can make a report to the Victoria Police (External link) about risky driving behaviour, including:

  • failing to obey traffic lights or street signs
  • failing to drive within a single lane
  • failing to use indicators
  • slowing or stopping without reason in a traffic lane.

To make a report to the Police, the following information must be provided:

  • registration number of the vehicle
  • information about the driver (gender, approximate age etc.)
  • date, time, place and description of the observed behaviour.

Once a report is made, the Police will investigate, and they might notify VicRoads about the driver if they’re concerned.

Finding out who reported your driving

If your driving was reported by the Police, this will be stated in the letter we send you asking for a medical report. 

If you were reported by someone else, we can’t tell you their name unless they’ve given consent for us to do so (or if it’s required by law). To keep our roads safe, it’s important for us to protect the identity of people who provide information. 

What you need to do 

If you want to keep driving

If you’ve received a letter from us asking for a medical report, you’ll need to follow the instructions in the letter. Find out more in Stage 2: Providing reports and testing.

If you don’t provide us with information we need, we won’t be able to assess your fitness to drive and we’ll need to suspend your licence until we can make sure you’re able to drive safely. We’re required by law to do this, and it helps ensure the safety of everyone on the road.

If you don’t want to keep driving

If you don’t want to drive any more, you need to: 

  • let us know in writing (by email or post)
  • return your driver licence/learner permit (at a Customer Service Centre or by post).

You can ask for a refund of the remaining portion of your driver licence fee.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).