Work diary

The National Transport Commission in partnership with the Regulator, industry and governments, has updated the National Driver Work Diary to reflect the requirements contained within the new Heavy Vehicle (Fatigue Management) National Regulation 2013.

The National Driver Work Diary has been changed to include:

  • a reduction in duplication and the amount of information required to be filled out
  • more detailed advice on fatigue laws
  • guidance on how to count time.

The changes will make completing a work diary easier and ensure that a driver’s focus can be on managing their fatigue.

When should I use a work diary?

With the commencement of the Heavy Vehicle National Law and Regulations, all drivers of fatigue-regulated heavy vehicles who drive 100km or more from their home base or operate under Basic Fatigue Management or Advanced Fatigue Management must complete a work diary to record their work and rest times.

Where can I buy a work diary?

The National Driver Work Diary (External link) can be purchased from a VicRoads Service Centres.

What if my work diary is lost, stolen or destroyed?

For information on what to do if your work diary is lost, stolen or destroyed, please refer to the NHVR website.

What if I can’t get a new work diary within seven days?

If you cannot get a new work diary within seven business days you must either:

  • cease driving until you get a new one
  • perform different duties so you do not need to use a work diary until you get a new one.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...