Taxi* licences and driver accreditation

To be a taxi* driver, hire car driver, bus driver or driving instructor in Victoria you need to get an accreditation from Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria (CPVV).

VicRoads doesn’t accept new applications, renewal payments, or applications to replace Driver Accreditation. Contact the CPVV (External link) instead. 

If you hold a current and valid interstate or New Zealand driver accreditation or driving instructor authority, you may be eligible to have it mutually recognised in Victoria by CPVV. This must be completed prior to obtaining a Victorian driver’s licence. 

For more information visit CPVV’s mutual recognition (External link)

Taking a photo for your driver accreditation

If you’re renewing your driver accreditation, or your application’s just been approved, the CPVV might ask you to take a photo at VicRoads.

Visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre with evidence of identity, and at least one of the following: 

  • a letter from the CPVV, 
  • an email from the CPVV,
  • your driver certificate, or 
  • your driver photo ID card. 

Replacement Driver Accreditation Photo ID

You can apply for a replacement Driver Accreditation Photo ID at the CPVV (External link) or a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. No fees apply. 

*Note: A taxi is a commercial passenger vehicle providing booked and unbooked (rank and hail) services.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...