Bushfire relief assistance

If you’ve been affected by the bushfires in one of the declared State of Disaster areas, VicRoads will provide assistance to help with your registration and licensing services.

Where are the State of Disaster Zones?

VicRoads considers any postcode in the following areas a “State of Disaster” zone:

  • Alpine
  • East Gippsland
  • Mansfield
  • Mt Hotham
  • Mt Buller 
  • Mt Stirling Alpine Resorts
  • Rural City of Wangaratta Shires
  • Towong 
  • Wellington.

Can I use an unregistered vehicle in the event of a bushfire?

Unregistered vehicles used for evacuation or being moved to provide accommodation after a fire can only be driven with an unregistered vehicle permit. You can get an unregistered vehicle permit online or call 13 11 71.

Get an unregistered vehicle permit

How do I replace my vehicle or boat registration documents?

If your vehicle and/or boat registration documents needed to make a claim were destroyed by the fire, VicRoads will, upon request, provide replacement vehicle registration and boat registration certificates (as well as boat registration labels) free of charge. 

To request these documents, call us on 13 11 71 or visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.

Copies of your past registration certificates for light vehicles and trailers can be downloaded from your myVicRoads account through the eBilling history page. 

How do I cancel registration of my fire-damaged vehicle and claim a registration refund?

If you want to cancel the registration of your fire-damaged vehicle or destroyed vehicle, VicRoads will provide a refund of the unused portion of the registration of the vehicle and waive any usual refund administration charges.
To cancel the registration of your fire damaged or destroyed vehicle, call us on 13 11 71 or visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.
To provide a faster refund, VicRoads will process the refund by EFT into your nominated bank account.

To be eligible for a fast-tracked refund:

  • The vehicle must have been garaged in a State of Disaster area (see above list) or can be proved to have been affected by fire in a State of Disaster area. This can be evidenced by an insurance company letter or a statement made at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. You can provide a verbal statement if you are contacting VicRoads by phone.
  • Number plates if destroyed, are not required to be returned when a refund is claimed.

Motor vehicle duty discount for replacement of vehicles destroyed in the fires.

If your vehicle was destroyed in the Summer 2019/2020 bushfires, you may be eligible for a discount from the duty payable for replacement vehicles.  A discount of $2,100 may be applied, for up to two replacement vehicles registered in your name. 

The registration of the destroyed vehicle must be cancelled, and the replacement vehicle must be registered or transferred into the same name as the destroyed vehicle.

What do I need to provide? 

To be eligible for the discount you’ll need: 

  • A statement, or advice letter from an insurance company that includes the registration number of the destroyed vehicle/s and
  • The statement must confirm that the new vehicle replaces a vehicle lost in the Summer 2019-2020 bushfires.

How do I apply?

You can apply for the discount at a VicRoads Customer Centre Centre or by mail:

GPO Box 1644 
Melbourne Vic 3001

This discount can only be claimed before 1 April 2022

My licence card / learner permit card has been lost in fires how do I get a replacement?

If your driver or marine licence or learner permit card was destroyed or lost as a result of the fires, VicRoads will organise a replacement for you at no fee. To arrange a replacement card, call us on 13 11 71 or visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.

Can I order a replacement card online? 

Yes, you can request a replacement licence card or permit online (External link) which will attract a fee and is subject to our standard delivery times.

When and where will I get my new card? 

Bushfire replacement cards will be sent to our Customer Services Centres for you to collect in person. This may take up to 3-4 days. 

My licence is due for renewal and I need a new photo taken. What do I do if I can’t get to a VicRoads or AustPost? 

If your nearest VicRoads or AusPost is closed or has been affected by the fires, VicRoads will issue you with a 3-year licence using your existing image held, even if the photo was taken more than 5 years ago. 

Renew your licence by calling us on 13 11 71. You can pay for your licence over the phone with a credit card. Please note: If your current image is more than 5 years old, you won’t be able to pay using BPay.

You’ll need to take a new photo when your 3-year licence expires.

My learner log book was damaged in the fires, what do I do? 

If your paper log book was destroyed by the fires, we’ll provide you with a replacement at no fee. 

You can visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to request a replacement. 

The myLearners app is also available to log your driving hours. 

What about the supervising driving hours I’ve accumulated? 

If your log book has been destroyed, you can apply for an exemption to have these hours recognised.  

To apply for an exemption, you’ll need to:  

  • Complete the exemption form [PDF 55 Kb]
  • Complete a stat declaration (which should include your total driving hours. This needs to be completed you and your primary supervising driver).  
  • Email your application to [email protected]

What if I had an appointment, but I can’t attend?

If you’ve had an appointment and couldn’t make it, or have an appointment and can’t make it, you can contact us directly on 13 11 71 to let us know and we can arrange a new appointment time for you.

Appointment fees are waived for those in a fire affected area.

I need to update my address, what should I do?

It’s important that you keep your details with VicRoads up to date. This includes your postal address as we’ll still be sending important mail, like your registration or licence renewals, demerit point options notices or suspension or cancellation notices. 
If you don’t have a set address at this stage, you can provide us with the postal address of a trusted friend or family member. Once you’ve got a permanent postal address set up, don’t forget to let us know or update your details online.

For registration and licence renewals, you can elect these to be emailed to you if you have a myVicRoads account

I’ve got an alcohol interlock installed in my car, but can’t get it serviced, what can I do?

We’re working with the alcohol interlock service agents in the area to identify those who may be due for their next service. If you’re not able to get in to have your monthly service due to the fires, please contact Driver Relicensing Services on 1300 723 790 to discuss. 

I need to complete a Behaviour Change Program or a Safe Driving Program, but I can’t attend the course that I was booked into?

If you can’t make it to your course, please contact the Driver Relicensing Services team on 1300 723 790 for further information.

I need to provide a medical report, but I can’t provide it on time, what can I do? 

If you’re having trouble arranging medical report(s) within the required timeframes, please contact the VicRoads Medical Review team on 03 8391 3226 to discuss. 

My work diary was destroyed in the fires, how do I get a replacement? 

If your heavy vehicle work diary was destroyed in a disaster affected area, we'll waive the fee for a replacement.

To be eligible you'll need to have: 

  • a residential address within the declared state of disaster, or 
  • a letter to VicRoads which states your previous heavy vehicle work diary was destroyed as a result of the 2019/2020 bushfires.  

Visit your nearest VicRoads Customer Service Centre to order your replacement.

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.