Driving in another country

Find out what you need to drive in another country.

International Driving Permits (IDP)

If you’re travelling overseas for a short period of time and want to drive while you're away, you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP). In Victoria, you can apply for an IDP through the RACV.

An International Driving Permit is a translation of a driver licence. It has no validity on its own, so it needs to be accompanied by a current driver licence. To be eligible for an IDP you need:

  • a current Victorian driver licence
  • to be at least 18 years old.

IDPs cannot be issued to people with learner permits.

Find out more about applying for an IDP on the RACV website (External link)

Applying for a driver licence in another country

If you’re spending an extended time overseas, you might need to apply for a driver licence in another country. The overseas driver licensing authority might ask for your driver licence history. You can order a driver licence history report from VicRoads for a small fee.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...