Level crossing removal projects
Over the next eight years the Victorian Government will remove 50 dangerous and congested level crossings across Melbourne. $2.4 billion has been allocated to remove at least 20 level crossings by 2018. A long-term plan is being developed to remove all 50 level crossings by 2022.
Several level crossings have already been removed with many more in construction, planning and early consultation.
Information on the Level Crossing Removal Project is no longer being featured on the VicRoads website.
Removing the crossings will:
- deliver significant safety improvements for drivers and pedestrians
- improve travel around Melbourne – whether you're a train user, pedestrian, cyclist or driver
- get people home safer and faster
- make our roads more reliable, enabling people to better predict their travel times
- stimulate economic growth by creating thousands of jobs during construction
- revitalise local communities, with many areas benefiting from station rebuilds
- enable more trains to run more often and on time
You can sign up for email updates, and contact the project or follow updates on social media to keep informed of what's happening.