Cardinia Road upgrade, Officer
We've upgraded Cardinia Road from Princes Highway to the Princes Freeway (Pakenham Bypass).
As an important north south route for the local community, this upgrade supports the travel needs of the growing population in this area, and improves safety and access along Cardinia Road.
Project update – February 2017
We’ve now completed the duplication of Cardinia Road. Southbound traffic will be travelling on newly built road and northbound traffic will be travelling on existing road which had been upgraded to improve the quality of the road.
The upgrade includes:
- a new shared path for pedestrians and cyclists along the west side of Cardinia Road.
- a new pedestrian path around the train station and a pedestrian crossing across the railway line.
- a two lane roundabout at Princes Freeway and Cardinia Road.
- better access to local facilities and the housing estates along Cardinia Road.
- upgraded rail signs at Cardinia Road Railway Station to help reduce boom gate down time.
For safety reasons, Mary Street and Harold Street are now permanently closed to vehicles where they meet Cardinia Road. You can still access these streets via Bridge Road.
The Cardinia Road duplication concludes the final stage of works from Shearwater Drive to Pakenham bypass.
View a larger version of the Cardinia Road Duplication - final stages map
The upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow for Cardinia Road from Princes Highway to Pakenham Bypass
- improve safety and access for pedestrians, cyclists and residents
- create safer pedestrian access to Cardinia Road Railway Station
Level crossing works
The removal of the level crossing on Cardinia Road was not included in the scope of this upgrade, however the works do not prevent a level crossing removal taking place in the future. The upgrade will provide immediate and significant benefits for those who use and live near Cardinia Road, including improved traffic flow and travel times.
Cardinia Road has been upgraded in stages since 2010, improvements include:
- the upgrade of Cardinia Road between Princes Highway and Shearwater Drive to two lanes in each direction
- the installation of traffic lights at the intersections of Cardinia Road with the Princes Highway, Henry Road, Damon Street and Shearwater Drive
- a new intersection with pedestrian crossing points at Shearwater Drive and Arena Parade
- the connection of Arena Parade to Cardinia Road
- a new shared use path for cyclists and pedestrians along the west side of Cardinia Road
- a new bus bay for the 926 service heading northbound, on the northwest corner of the Shearwater Drive and Arena Parade intersection.
If you'd like more information or have any questions, please get in touch.
Email: [email protected]
Call: 03 9703 5999
Write: VicRoads, South Eastern Projects, PO Box 2214, Fountain Gate, VIC 3805