Mitcham level crossing removal
The project to remove the level crossings at Rooks Road and Mitcham Road in Mitcham is now complete, with trains operating under the roads and pulling into the new station.
The project was built to improve traffic flow, access and safety for road users, cyclists and pedestrians, and to improve connections for bus and rail patrons.
The car park, bike facilities and bus interchange are also complete, and station lifts are fully operational.
- Removal of the level crossings on Mitcham Road and Rooks Road.
- A new premium station at Mitcham which is manned from first train to last each day.
- New bus interchange facilities on the north and south side of the railway line at Mitcham Station, including new ‘kiss n ride’ and taxi facilities.
- A new pedestrian access way at the end of Station Street over the lowered railway lines.
- A new access way at Simla Street for vehicles and buses to access the station carpark and transport interchange.
- A new bicycle and pedestrian path along the railway line between Rooks Road and Mitcham Road.
- Safer conditions for road users, pedestrians and cyclists.
- Reduced traffic delays and congestion for drivers.
- Better connections for rail and bus patrons.
- Improved road network efficiency.
- Supports local business and the economy.
Watch the Mitcham Level Crossing Removal time lapse video
We would like to thank the Mitcham community, residents, businesses, road users and rail commuters for their patience and understanding while these important works were undertaken.
Email [email protected]
Call 9872 7000 (VicRoads Eastern Projects)
Telephone translation service
9280 0772 (Business hours)