Westall Road Extension, Princes Highway East to Monash Freeway
We’re preparing a business case for a Westall Road Extension from Princes Highway East, Clayton to the Monash Freeway, Mulgrave. This is to accommodate population and employment growth in the area, and improve network connectivity.
Click to enlarge
In 2014 we received $1.8 million over three years to prepare a business case for the construction of the Westall Road Extension.
The proposed Westall Road Extension passes through the Monash National Employment Cluster (NEC).
This is Melbourne’s largest concentration of employment outside of the CBD. To manage the growing population and employment in this area, we’ll need to improve the transport network. The Westall Road Extension is expected to divert traffic from nearby roads, improving access to the Monash NEC and the wider area.
- A high standard divided road, details to be confirmed.
- An interchange connecting the road to the Monash Freeway in Mulgrave.
- Improved access to the Monash NEC including the Monash Medical Centre and Monash University.
- Improved access to the regional areas of Kingston and Greater Dandenong.
- Better freight routes to commercial areas in Moorabbin, Braeside and Dandenong South.
- Better connections to Clayton and Springvale Activity Centres.
- Improved traffic flow for public transport on parallel roads such as Blackburn Road, Springvale Road and Clayton Road.
A contract has been awarded to WSP/Parsons Brinckerhoff. They will work closely with us to consider transport, land use and economic benefits of the project as well as any social or environmental impacts for the future Westall Road Extension.
Detailed investigations will include consultation with stakeholders such as councils, government agencies, land owners, businesses and road users.
Over the next 12 months, we’ll consult with key stakeholders to identify issues and get feedback on options. Keep an eye on this page for project updates and opportunities to be involved in the planning for the future Westall Road Extension.
We’re planning for the business case to be completed over the next 12 months and recommendations will be submitted to Government for future funding.
Call: (03) 9391 7124
Write: Westall Road Extension, Private Bag 4, Mount Waverley VIC 3149