Yan Yean Road - Plenty
We’re upgrading Yan Yean Road, on behalf of the Victorian Government, to improve traffic flow and make it safer for all road users.
Project update - March 2017
We'd like to thank those who attended our recent community information sessions. Our team spoke with you about the design that will go to tender.
We'll be calling for tenders in late March 2017 and will start construction in late 2017.
Read more about our previous community engagement at engageVicRoads.
The Victorian Government is investing $131.2 million to upgrade Yan Yean Road between Diamond Creek and Kurrak roads in Plenty.
This section of Yan Yean Road currently carries more cars (over 23,000 a day) than it was designed to. The road has had 45 serious crashes between the years 2010 and 2015. This is largely caused by the road being undivided and the current alignment causing poor driver visibility.
About the project
We’re currently refining our design plans to duplicate Yan Yean Road to four lanes, two lanes in each direction, between Diamond Creek and Kurrak roads in Plenty.
The proposed plans include:
- upgraded intersections along River Avenue, Diamond Creek and Kurrak Roads
- a 2.2 metre median strip along the length of the road
- safety barriers to reduce the risk and impact of run-off-road crashes
- a wider and safer shared user path on the western side of the road
- a dedicated bus lane at the Yan Yean and Diamond Creek Road intersection
- replacing the existing roundabout with new trafficlights at the Yan Yean and Kurrak Road intersection
- new refuge islands to connect pedestrians with bus stops
- straightening the road for better driver visibility.
View the latest Yan Yean Road, Plenty map [PDF 1.34Mb]
Construction is expected to begin in 2017 and be completed by mid 2019.
- less traffic congestion
- reduced risk of head-on collisions and off-road crashes
- improved pedestrian and cyclist safety with additional crossings and a shared user path
Final tree assessment report
We engaged a consultant to undertake a tree assessment of all trees within the Yan Yean Road Upgrade Project area to determine the total number, location, type and size of each tree that is proposed to be impacted by the project.
View the Yan Yean Road - Plenty final tree assessment report [PDF 10Mb]
Final arborist report
We commissioned a tree assessment to understand the exact number of trees in the area, their species, size, origin, significance and habitat characteristics.
View the Yan Yean Road - Plenty final arborist report [PDF 175 Mb]
View the Traffic Flow update [PDF 448 Kb]
View the Environmental update [PDF 256 Kb]
If you'd like more information or have any questions, please get in touch.
Email: [email protected]