Sturt & Mair Streets, Ballarat
We’re looking at how we can make Sturt and Mair Streets safer, more vibrant and more connected.
Sturt Street, heading towards Alfredton, will be closed for periods of time on Sunday 26 February and Sunday 5 March as VicRoads carries out road surface improvements.
Read more about these works in the Media Release
Project update – February 2017
Over two weekends in October & November 2016, 34 randomly selected Ballarat locals participated in in-depth co-design workshops with VicRoads, the City of Ballarat and transport experts to identify issues and opportunities for Sturt Street, between Pleasant and Dawson Streets, and Mair Street between Dawson and Victoria Streets. We thank this Citizen Advisory Group for their hard work and contributions to this important project.
The key opportunities identified and investigated by the Citizen Advisory Group were to :
- Review the number and type of road crossings on Sturt Street, between Pleasant and Dawson streets (reducing the likelihood and severity of crashes will address 10 of the top 20 crash hotspots in Western Victoria);
- Make Mair Street two lanes in each direction west of Lydiard Street and replace the roundabout at Grenville Street with traffic lights to ease congestion;
- Plant trees along Mair Street to make it a more attractive, tree-lined boulevard;
- Install dedicated infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians to improve their safety; and
- Synchronise traffic signals for smoother traffic flow and easier crossing for pedestrians.
We are currently consolidating the challenges and opportunities identified by the City of Ballarat, the VicRoads Mair & Sturt Street Stakeholder Group and the Citizen Advisory Group. We will then develop a package of upgrades to present to the community for your feedback and input in the coming months.
Sturt and Mair Streets are a big part of the structure of Central Ballarat. Sturt Street links the central business district (CBD) with Lake Wendouree and connects premiere eating, dining and entertainment areas. Mair Street is a major traffic route around the CBD and has many stores, businesses and schools.
Improving Sturt and Mair Streets could attract new businesses, enhance the areas lifestyle and increase property values. This project is an important part of the City of Ballarat’s CBD Strategy: Making Ballarat Central (2010) [PDF]
The intersections along Sturt Street account for 10 of the 20 crash hot spots in Western Victoria. It’s clear that these intersections must be made safer. The traffic flow along Mair Street also needs to be improved, along with better crossing facilities and parking.
As Ballarat grows, we need to make sure these two vital streets work for everyone.
If you'd like more information or have any questions, please get in touch
Call: (03) 5333 8738
Email: [email protected]
Write to: Sturt and Mair Streets, PO Box 580, Ballarat, Vic 3353