Warragul Rail Precinct upgrade
The $26.04 million Warragul Rail Precinct Upgrade has been completed on budget and ahead of schedule. The new station, featuring a 200-space car park and bus interchange, was opened on 31 August 2014. Construction of the new rail underpass to the east of the station was completed on 30 March 2015 and is now open to traffic.
Works are now underway for the design of the Goods Shed, which was relocated to accommodate the new car park and bus interchange. Refurbishment of this heritage-listed building is expected to be completed by late 2015.
The Warragul Station Precinct Upgrade was a jointly funded project, with the Victorian Government investing $22.69 million in the development and the Federal Government providing $3.35 million.
VicRoads managed the project on behalf of Public Transport Victoria (PTV).
The upgraded Warragul station features a 200-space car park and bus interchange with bus shelters. It also provides the community with a drop-off and pick-up area at its entrance, a new pedestrian footbridge over the rail line and a bicycle shed.
The new rail underpass connecting Alfred Street with Queen Street and Normanby Place helps divert traffic from Warragul’s town centre and improve traffic links between east and south Warragul.
The project also included a significant drainage system at the rail underpass, which collects and stores stormwater to be reused at the nearby Warragul Livestock Exchange. Additional funding for this initiative was obtained from the Living Victoria Fund.
Thiess Pty Ltd was awarded the construction contract for the project.
The upgraded facilities are compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act (2010).
- New rail underpass with a single lane in each direction that links the Normanby Place and Queen Street intersection with Alfred Street
- A new signalised intersection at Normanby Place and Queen Street
- A shared user path on the west side of the new underpass, and new footpath on the north side of Alfred Street linking the underpass to the car park
- New car park and bus interchange
- Upgraded drop-off and pick-up area at the entrance to the station
- New pedestrian ramp and footbridge over the rail line
- New traffic signals at the Howitt Street and Alfred Street intersection
- A new bicycle storage facility north of the railway station
- Relocation of the historic goods shed
Working with the community
PTV and VicRoads have worked closely with Baw Baw Shire Council to develop the project’s scope and key features.
VicRoads will continue to work closely with Baw Baw Shire Council and other key stakeholders, including the Warragul community and local businesses, to understand any further issues and concerns following completion of the Project.
VicRoads would like to thank the adjacent landowners and businesses for their cooperation and understanding throughout the Warragul Rail Precinct Upgrade.
If you have any queries, or would like to join our mailing list:
Call VicRoads South Eastern Projects - Traralgon (03) 5172 2328
Email [email protected]
Write Project Director - South Eastern Projects, PO Box 158 Traralgon Vic 3844
Visit 120 Kay Street, Traralgon, Victoria