Sell a registered vehicle

Find out how to sell and transfer a registered vehicle.

If you’re selling a registered vehicle privately 

You’ll need to: 

  1. Check if you need a Roadworthy Certificate 
  2. Fill out the ‘seller’ section on the transfer application form

Follow each step below for more.

Step 1: Check if you need a Roadworthy Certificate 

If you need to get a Roadworthy Certificate, it can’t be can’t be over 30 days old when the sale takes place. Go to Certification of Roadworthiness and follow the steps on how to get one unless your vehicle is exempt.

Can I get an exemption?

Some vehicles and transfers don’t need a Roadworthy certificate.

To check, go to:

Step 2: Complete paperwork

Fill in the transfer application form [PDF 368 Kb] as a ‘seller’ section. Keep a copy of the completed transfer form (or take a photo) to make sure you have proof of transfer.

Give the buyer a written dated receipt as proof of purchase and ownership of the vehicle.

Your receipt should include:

Who submits the application?

The buyer needs to submit: 

More information

If you have a myVicRoads account, the vehicle will not appear in your account when the buyer submits the transfer to VicRoads for processing. Allow 14 days.

Can I transfer a vehicle if the rego has expired?

You can transfer a vehicle up to three months after registration has expired. If it’s expired for more than three months, your registration is cancelled and you must sell your vehicle as unregistered


Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...