Transfer from a company

To transfer a vehicle’s registration, a Vehicle Transfer Form, current Certificate of Roadworthiness, transfer fee and motor vehicle duty fee are required. If transferring from a company, additional documentation is required by VicRoads, depending on the circumstances of the transfer.

If you need to change your company details like its name or address check out document requirements on the Change your company registration details page.

Company in liquidation

Where a vehicle is transferred to a shareholder of a company in a situation where a distribution of assets is occurring as a consequence of a company closing down, the following documents are required:

Company reducing capital

Where a vehicle is transferred to a shareholder of a company in a situation where a distribution of assets is occurring as a consequence of the reduction of capital of a company, the following documents are required: 

Corporate reconstructions

A corporate reconstruction occurs where a corporate group reorganises its business structure. Common reasons for a corporate reconstruction include: 

  • to align business operations with an appropriate legal entity
  • improve the balance sheet of a subsidiary seeking finance
  • respond to a restructure by a foreign parent company
  • remove expensive and dated structures in complex groups
  • prepare for a public float 
A corporate group is defined as a parent corporation and the subsidiaries of that corporation. A parent corporation is defined to mean a corporation that directly holds at least 90% of the beneficial ownership of another corporation and has the ability to cast, or to control the casting of, at least 90% of the maximum number of votes that may be cast at a general meeting of the subsidiary.

To apply for an exemption from payment of motor vehicle duty when transferring the registration of a motor vehicle as a result of a ‘corporate reconstruction’ application must be made to the State Revenue Office.  

To complete the transfer of a vehicle(s) following a corporate reconstruction, VicRoads requires the following information:

  • Written confirmation from the State Revenue Office  stating:
    • the transfer(s) are exempt from motor vehicle duty as per section 250B of the Duties Act 2000
    • the names of the disposer and the acquirer
    • the registration numbers, make and model of all light and heavy motor vehicles or heavy trailers covered by the exemption
    • the date by which the transfer must be lodged with VicRoads for the exemption to be valid
  • A completed Application for Transfer of Registration [PDF 368KB] for each vehicle.

The acquirer will be exempt from payment of motor vehicle duty, transfer fees and the provision of a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

Company name to name of private individual

When a director/shareholder wishes to transfer the registration of a vehicle from a company name to a private individual the following items are required:

Company name to owner's spouse/partner

In order to transfer vehicle registration from a company name to a company owner's spouse or domestic partner's name, the following items are required:

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...