Transfer to another person

If a vehicle has been sold, given as a gift or otherwise disposed of, and will be garaged in Victoria, the buyer must tell VicRoads of its transfer within 14 days of taking possession of the vehicle.

A vehicle can be transferred into the name of one person or an incorporated company.

The buyer of the vehicle, or the acquirer if the vehicle was given as a gift, must submit an Application for Transfer of Registration form [PDF 368 Kb].

If the vehicle has interstate registration, refer to Registering an interstate vehicle.

Transferring a registered vehicle

Transferring an unregistered vehicle

Transfer fees and exemptions

To find out what the relevant fees are for your transfer, and if any exemptions apply, refer to transfer & motor vehicle duty fees.

The motor vehicle duty is the tax payable when a vehicle is registered or transferred to another registered operator.

Some vehicles are also exempt from requiring a Certificate of Roadworthiness. To find out if your vehicle is exempt, refer to vehicles exempt from roadworthiness requirements.

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...