Carnival or procession permits

Unregistered vehicles used within organised carnivals may be issued with an unregistered vehicle permit.

A carnival float must obtain an unregistered vehicle permit (UVP) to travel on a road or road-related area unless the entire stretch of road on which it will travel is permanently closed.

Before a permit can be issued, an applicant must provide VicRoads with a letter of confirmation from the body organising the rally or procession indicating that the float will participate.

Find out how to apply for an unregistered vehicle permit.

It is the responsibility of the operator to ensure that the float is in a roadworthy condition with respect to the:

  • brake system
  • driver access and ventilation
  • exhaust system
  • steering
  • stop lamps
  • turn signal lamps
  • visibility for the driver, including effective rear vision on both sides
  • warning devices.
You must also ensure the safety of any structures, bunting, decorations and passengers.

Permits will only allow travel to, from and during the parade, and are endorsed with "Carnival Float". They are normally issued for a seven-day period.

An over-dimensional permit will be required if standard vehicle dimensions are exceeded, if the vehicle is to travel on or over declared roads. Council permits may also be required. Check with your local council.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).