Operating a club permit vehicle

Club permit holders have different responsibilities and obligations compared with standard road vehicles. Read below for information on operating a club permit vehicle, including information on log books and number plates.

Club permit holders must ensure:

  • the vehicle is used for private use only
  • the log book and permit is carried in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is in use
  • they are familiar with their particular club’s requirements for club permit holders
  • they are familiar with the log book requirements
  • vehicles are maintained in a manner which ensures it is in a 'safe' condition for use
  • vehicles are presented for periodic safety checks if prescribed by their club, in the case of street rods, or if prescribed by the Australian Street Rod Federation
  • financial membership of the club is maintained at all times whilst holding a club permit
  • the number plate(s) and windscreen label as issued by VicRoads are correctly displayed on the vehicle at all times when the vehicle is in use.

In addition to obeying the road rules, club permit vehicle holders are subject to different rules and procedures from standard road vehicles. 

Additional restrictions for club permit holders

Club permits are valid for either 45 or 90 driving days per year. This means club permit holders can use their club permit vehicle for that many days per year, but a log book of all trips must be kept.

A club permit vehicle may be driven by anyone who holds the applicable licence category for the vehicle, unless operating the vehicle as a 'driver under instruction'. Refer to the below table to see the different types of club permit restrictions for each Victorian licence category.

Licence category

Club permit restrictions

Learner permit holder
  • A club permit vehicle may be driven by a learner permit holder, provided they are operating the vehicle as a 'driver under instruction'
Probationary licence holders
  • A club permit vehicle may be driven by a probationary licence holder provided that the vehicle has not been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle)
  • The probationary licence must be applicable to the category of vehicle.
  • The E licence condition for LAMS restrictions applies to learner permit holders.
Heavy vehicles (greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM)
  • Operators of heavy vehicles issued with a club permit may be subject to heavy vehicle fatigue laws. This will require permit holders to use a national driver work diary in conjunction with the club permit log book. 
  • Heavy vehicles on club permits may be used for charitable drought relief purposes on a non-commercial basis.   
  • Fuel donations are not considered to be commercial payment. 
Left-hand drive vehicles
  • Left hand drive club permit vehicles must not be used on the road at night unless all the required lamps, including dipping headlamps, are fitted and suitable for right hand drive.
Towing with a club permit
  • Vehicles being driven on a club permit may tow a trailer/caravan, providing it is registered or operating on its own club permit or unregistered vehicle permit.
  • All normal towing limits and restrictions apply (e.g. towing restrictions for P1 probationary licence holders or motorcycle licence holders within the first three years of holding the licence).
Use of Victorian club permit vehicles interstate
  • Club permit vehicles may be driven throughout all states and territories provided that the vehicle complies with Victorian requirements for the holding of the club permit.
Use of interstate club permit vehicles in Victoria
  • A person may use a vehicle temporarily in Victoria if it has a permit issued interstate and is observing the conditions of that registration or permit.
  • The vehicle must have third party insurance cover in its home state or Transport Accident cover issued in Victoria.

Club permits are valid for either 45 or 90 driving days per year, and therefore club permit holders are required to keep a log book of all trips.

The log book is issued by VicRoads with the initial club permit and is renewed annually. 

A log book entry must be made for each day the vehicle is used (if a vehicle is used multiple times during a day, only the first use by the first driver is required to be recorded).

Replacement log books

Replacement club permit log books can be purchased from any VicRoads Customer Service Centre with the following three items:

1. A VicRoads statutory declaration form [PDF 134 Kb], stating the reasons for requesting a replacement log book, and how many entries in the previous log book were completed at the time the log book was lost, damaged, destroyed or stolen. This must be signed and lodged by the club permit holder only.

2. A statement signed by the club secretary or authorised person of the club of which the permit holder is a financial member must be submitted with the statutory declaration.

The statement from the club must:

  • indicate that the club is aware that a statutory declaration supporting a request for a replacement log book has been made by the permit holder concerned
  • certify that the permit holder is a financial member of the club
  • certify that the club has documented in its records that the permit holder concerned has applied to us for a replacement log book along with the date of the club statement.

3. Payment for the log book. Visit club permit fees for details about log book fees.

Club permit plates have white characters on a maroon background, to easily identify these vehicles for law enforcement purposes.

Vintage club permit plate

Custom plates cannot be issued to a vehicle on the club permit scheme.

Registration number rights are not attached to any club permit number combination. The number plates remain the property of VicRoads. 

Bike rack and exempt trailer plates may be ordered by contacting us on 13 11 71.

Lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed plates

If a club permit number plate is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, a new number plate with the next available sequential number will be issued (the original number plate won’t be reproduced).

If one plate is lost, damaged or destroyed, the remaining plate must be returned to VicRoads and a new set displaying a new number will be issued. 

How to replace club permit number plates

To replace club permit number plates, attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. 

  • Classic and modified ‘M’ type permit holders will get their numbers plates on the spot. 
  • Veteran, vintage and street rod permit holders plates will be mailed new club permit plates (unless the Customer Service Centre has these plates in stock).

Assignment of club permit or street rod number plates

If a vehicle is given or sold to another person, the current club permit must be cancelled, and a new club permit application is required. However, the club permit holder may request that the existing number plates remain on the vehicle provided that:

  • the new club permit holder is a member of the same approved vehicle club as the previous permit holder
  • the club permit number plate is assigned to the same vehicle
  • the club permit must be current or expired no more than three months.

If the vehicle has not been sold but the club permit is expired by more than three months, a new club permit application must be made. The existing club permit number plates may remain on the vehicle provided that the application is by the same club permit holder.

Return of number plates

If a club permit holder wishes to cancel a permit, the number plate(s) can be returned to any VicRoads Customer Service Centre.

Club permit vehicles that may not meet vehicle standards

While VicRoads will not actively identify existing modified vehicles for re-certification, periodically vehicles are reported to us as unroadworthy and/or inappropriately modified and we are required to take action when this occurs.
In these instances, VicRoads will write to the permit holder advising them to request that their club re-assess the vehicle in accordance with the new requirements.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).