Exemptions from registration

Under certain circumstances and depending on the vehicle type, a vehicle may not be required to be registered.

These vehicles include the following list that are exempted from registration, and can operate without registration:

  • agricultural equipment - vehicles without automotive power built to perform agricultural tasks off road. For example cultivating land, growing and harvesting crops and rearing livestock
  • trailers carrying harvester combs
  • bulk field bins for holding grain
  • bulk fruit bins
  • trailers (other than trailers specifically built to carry a boat) that are not used in the course of trade and:
    • weigh less than 200kg empty
    • are not wider than the vehicle towing it
    • are not more than 3m long including the drawbar and any load on the trailer
  • trailers that are being towed by a registered tow truck
  • motor vehicles being towed* on a road or road related area
  • trailers that are operated by Life Saving Victoria, are used to transport inflatable life boats to the water's edge, and aren't intended for use on public roads.

* The number plate of the towing vehicle must be clearly visible when towing an unregistered vehicle. The registration number of the towing vehicle can be painted or otherwise displayed on the rear of the towed vehicle so the number is clearly distinguishable from a distance of 20m.

Note: Transport Accident Commission (TAC) cover may be limited for vehicles used under these circumstances.  For this reason, it is recommended that you purchase non-registered vehicle TAC cover to ensure the appropriate cover is provided in case of personal injuries as a result of a motor vehicle accident. Call VicRoads on 13 11 71 to purchase Non-Registered vehicle TAC cover.

Vehicles usually required to be registered can be exempt from registration temporarily for the following reasons:

  • it is being driven on a road* for the specific purpose of obtaining registration. This does not include having the vehicle repaired or obtaining a Certificate of Roadworthiness
  • it is being towed by a registered vehicle
  • it is used only to move directly across a road* from a property on one side to property on the other and VicRoads has granted an exemption from the requirement for the vehicle to be registered. This exemption may be granted upon application to VicRoads and does not apply to vehicles that travel along the road.

Applying for registration exemption for vehicle used to only cross roads

Applications for this exemption should be made in writing, and include all of the following:

  • the vehicle's mass and dimensions
  • other vehicle details (eg, body type, make model, VIN, engine number)
  • a map showing the highway name(s), the specific location of the property and the gateways that will be used to cross the highway.

Applications must be emailed to [email protected].

The driver of a vehicle that has been exempted must carry a copy of VicRoads exemption approval while driving the vehicle.

* Note: road refers to road related areas including car parks, access roads and other areas that are open to be driven on by the public.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...