About the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) charge

The Transport Accident charge is included in your annual registration renewal fee on each vehicle you own. These charges are used to pay for treatment and support services for people injured in transport accidents.

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) provides personal injury insurance, it does not cover any property damage.

Calculation of TAC charge

The TAC charge is calculated according to the:

  • type of vehicle
  • registered owner (vehicle registration concessions may apply)
  • intended use
  • seating capacity
  • carrying capacity and
  • garaged location.

The garaged location will be in one of three risk zones: high, medium or low. These are assigned by the postcode. The TAC charge is set to the relevant risk zone.

Also included in the TAC charge is an insurance duty set by the State Revenue Office.

See a full listing of TAC charges at the Transport Accident Commission website.

Visiting overseas vehicles or vehicles driven on private property

A currently registered overseas vehicle that is being driven on a Victorian public road must have TAC coverage.

If you are driving a vehicle on private property (eg. hobby farm etc.) that is not registered, you can take out TAC Non Registered Vehicle (NRV) cover, however, it is not compulsory.

Taking out TAC NRV cover will ensure the appropriate cover is provided in case of personal injuries as a result of a motor vehicle accident.

To apply for TAC NRV cover for your vehicle you will need to provide your personal details and your vehicles details and:

* A card payment fee (External link) applies

The TAC NRV certificate will be mailed or faxed to you.

Note: Vehicles visiting Victoria that do not have registration are required to apply for a conditional Unregistered Vehicle Permit.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).