Short-term registration

So you like the idea of short-term rego? Find out if you’re eligible and how to get set up before your next renewal is due.

About short-term rego

If your rego expires on or after 1 January 2018, you can soon choose to pay and register your vehicle for a three or six month period or you can continue with the standard 12 month renewal period.

If your rego expires before 1 January 2018 you’ll need to wait until the following year to take advantage of the short-term registration option. 

Will I be eligible?

Short-term registration will be available if you drive one of the following:

  • Car
  • Ute
  • Van
  • Motorbike, or
  • Mobile plant vehicle.

Heavy vehicles and heavy trailers already have short-term registrations options.  

Please note: short-term registration won’t be available for light trailers, caravans, boats or vessels.

How to apply?

The easiest way is to set up a myVicRoads account and we’ll let you know when you can go in and select a shorter rego period. You’ll also get the added bonus of reminder emails and texts to ensure you don’t miss a payment.

Sign up to myVicRoads

Register your interest in myVicRoads business account

If you need help setting up an account or would like more info, call us on 1300 282 616 (8.30am to 9.00pm Monday – Friday and 8.30am – 2.00pm Saturday).

How does it work?

Short-term registration is choosing to register your vehicle for shorter periods. That means less money upfront compared to an annual lump sum. If you miss a payment, your vehicle will be un-registered. Penalties apply for driving an unregistered vehicle.

You’ll be able to pay for your short-term registration the same way you normally do (i.e. online, phone etc) however an additional fee of $2.45 will apply for each renewal.

Have a concession or discount?

If you have one of the following applied to your vehicle you're still eligible for a discount on your registration:

  • Pensioner concession
  • Health Care Card concession (see below for details)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs concession
  • Primary producer concession
  • Apprentice discount (see below for details)
  • Hybrid vehicle discount

Health Care Card concession

Your concession card must be valid when your rego’s due. If it expires before this, you’ll need to pay the non-concession price.

Apprentice discount

If you have an apprentice discount you can choose a short-term registration period, however, you’ll need to re-apply for your apprentice discount before the end of each registration period. This includes re-submitting your application (and supporting paperwork) and undergoing employer checks.

What happens when a vehicle is transferred?

When a vehicle is transferred, the registration period automatically reverts to 12 months. Once you get your registration renewal, you can opt to change to a short-term renewal.

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.