Vehicle Identity Validation inspection

Vehicle Identity Validation (VIV) inspections check that a damaged vehicle's been repaired correctly and is safe to be on the road. They also confirm the identity of a vehicle, and of any parts that were used to repair it. When a vehicle passes a VIV inspection, it's issued with a Victorian VIV certificate.

Your vehicle needs a VIV inspection if it:

  • is recorded as a 'repairable write-off' in the Written-Off Vehicles Register, and you want to register or re-register it 
  • is being transferred from interstate, and VicRoads has asked you for a VIV certificate before it can be registered in Victoria 
  • was recorded as a statutory write-off before 2002, was registered in Victoria before 1 May 2002, has since had its Victorian registration cancelled, and now you want to register it
Note: this must be a valid Victorian VIV certificate.

If your vehicle's a repairable write-off that's more than 15 years old, and it's never failed a VIV inspection, you don't need a VIV certificate.  

Check out the Written-Off Vehicles Register and written-off vehicles for more information about the WOVR and different types of write-offs. 

Before you book an inspection, make sure the vehicle's roadworthy and ready to register, and that you have all your paperwork ready (refer to 'What to bring'). 

Inspections need to be booked at least five business days in advance. 

When booking, you'll be asked to provide: 

  • your name and driver licence number 
  • the vehicle's details - Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), engine number, make and model, colour, garage address and if known, the registration number
  • Visa or MasterCard details to pay a deposit

You'll also need to acknowledge that the vehicle's ready to register, and confirm that all your documents are good to go. Note that you can’t make multiple bookings for the same vehicle. 

If your booking's successful, you'll get a text message that explains the requirements and conditions of the inspection, and includes a receipt for your deposit payment. 

If you notice that you made a small typo when booking your appointment, contact the VIV Centre straightaway to let it know.

How to book an inspection

Choose a centre from the list below. The ‘Book an inspection’ link allows you to review centre availability and book your inspection with them directly.

Location Inspection centre  Inspections offered

Southland Automotive
81 Argus Street, Cheltenham

  • Light vehicle

Fawkner Niscare
1373 Sydney Road, Fawkner

  • Light vehicle
  • Motorcycle

LRH Automotive Services
39 New Street, Frankston

Book an inspection (External link)

  • Light vehicle
  • Motorcycle

GEL Motors
66-70 Separation Street, Geelong North

Book an inspection (External link)

  • Light vehicle
  • Motorcycle
 Kangaroo Flat

Kangaroo Flat Auto Services

11-13 Lockwood Road, Kangaroo Flat

Book an inspection (External link)

  • Light vehicle

Tri Honder Service Centre

1/34 Roberna Street, Moorabbin

Book an inspection (External link)

  • Light vehicle

Vic Vehicle Inspections

41 Speed Circuit, Tyabb

Book an inspection (External link)

  • Light vehicle

Multiple appointments for the same vehicle

Booking multiple appointments booked for the same vehicle is not allowed. Instances of multiple bookings will result in cancellation of the subsequent appointment and loss of the deposit paid.

Cancelling or rescheduling an appointment 

VIV inspections can be moved or cancelled, as long as you give at least five business days' notice. Get in touch with your VIV Inspection Centre directly to do this. 

Fees apply to move or cancel an appointment. 

Refer to Vehicle Identity Validation (VIV) Fees

You need to pay a deposit to secure your appointment booking, and then pay the remainder of the balance on the day. 

There are also additional fees if you need to cancel or reschedule a booking, and if the vehicle doesn't pass the initial inspection and needs to be re-inspected. 

If you violate the terms of service of the booking system you may forfeit your deposit.


What to bring

It seems obvious but bring the vehicle! If it's unregistered, you can get an unregistered vehicle permit, organise to have the vehicle transferred on a trailer, or have it towed to and from the VIV inspection centre. If you have a trade plate, you can use that.

You also need to bring: 

  • evidence of identity 
  • proof of purchase of the vehicle: a tax receipt that shows the vehicle's VIN and if applicable, a business ABN or proof of ownership of the vehicle (sales contract, registration papers or receipt). If you have a personal receipt for the vehicle purchase, make sure it includes the buyer’s name and address; the seller's name, address, signature and (recommended) a copy of their driver licence; and the vehicle details (VIN, engine number, make and model)
  • tax invoices and itemised receipts for all repairs and replacement parts that were used. Tax invoices and receipts need to adhere to the Australian Tax Office’s requirements (External link) (External link)and any tax invoices or receipts for secondhand replacement parts need to include the VIN of the vehicle they were taken from. Any parts or vehicle repairs that are not accompanied with a tax invoice or tax receipt cannot be accepted
  • a crash-repair diary with photos taken before and during repairs. Repairing written-off vehicles has more information about this
  • a copy of the manufacturer's repair instructions specific to your vehicle's make, model and year. Parts lists are NOT considered repair instructions
  • a supplementary restraint system report [PDF 220 Kb] from an authorised dealer (only required if the vehicle suffered impact damage, was damaged by fire or water, and/or any of the airbags were deployed or are faulty)
  • a front-wheel and rear-wheel-alignment report, in colour, is required for repaired written-off vehicles to ensure that vehicle safety is achieved through correct alignment, camber and toe of all wheels. The wheel alignment report must include your vehicle's VIN. Also include the manufacturer’s specifications for comparison 
  • a structural and measurement report if there is any impact on the vehicle. A motorcycle will require a structural repair report, frame alignment report and a head stem angle measurement

Note that statutory declarations can't be used as evidence or proof, and they can't be used in place of the above requirements. 

Your VIV inspector - referred to as an authorised vehicle inspector in the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2021 - might also ask you to provide:

  • photos from the auction house where the vehicle was purchased (if applicable)
  • further measurements or structural reports, if your original report doesn't - in the inspector's opinion - sufficiently represent the vehicle 
  • further reports depending on how the vehicle was damaged (regardless of what the WOVR damage codes are)

The inspector can also ask you to provide new report/s from an independent party if there are concerns or doubts about the quality of the repairs. 

Drop the vehicle off at 8.30am sharp and be prepared to leave it at the inspection centre all day. If you’re late, you might need to come back on another day, and pay another deposit.  

You can't be present during the inspection, so organise a way to leave and return to the centre without your vehicle. 

Sometimes, the vehicle won't be ready to pick up until the next day. 

The VIV Inspection Centre can ask you to leave and make a new booking if you bring a vehicle that's different to the vehicle you booked in (eg, you can’t make an appointment for a Ford and show up with a Holden). If you present the wrong car and the VIV Inspection Centre ask you to make a new booking you will forfeit your deposit.

Yes. If you can't make it to the inspection, write a letter that says somebody else can act on your behalf. Make sure the letter includes: 

  • a statement that says you’re happy for the agent to attend the inspection on your behalf 
  • the vehicle's registration number (if known) and VIN
  • your full name, licence number and signature 
  • the agent's full name and licence number 

Your agent will need to provide evidence of identity when they drop off and pick up the vehicle (eg, a Victorian licence or current passport).  

A vehicle can fail a VIV inspection if:

  • it hasn't been repaired well enough, and/or there are structural deficiencies 
  • the paperwork isn't correct or complete 
  • there are irregularities in its identification
  • the vehicle is not roadworthy

If your vehicle fails an inspection, you need to fix the problem/s within 20 working days otherwise you will need to make a new 'first appointment'. It's not possible to extend this 20-day period.  

Fixing the reason it failed 

The 20 working days are only to fix minor problems, not to complete any major repairs that should have been fixed before you booked an inspection. 

If the inspector thinks there's still major work required, they can say the vehicle needs a whole new inspection. 

Make sure you record any further repairs in the repair diary. The inspector can also ask you to bring back a VicRoads Vehicle Damage and Structural Repair Report form [PDF 114 Kb].

When everything's been fixed, book a reinspection. Note that a reinspection fee applies. 

If you don't fix everything within 20 working days, or if the vehicle's reinspected and fails again, you'll need to book a whole new inspection and pay the full inspection fees again. 

Failing for identity reasons 

If a vehicle fails for identity reasons, or it seems suspicious, the vehicle will be referred to Victoria Police. 

If the vehicle passes the inspection, you’ll get a Victorian VIV Certificate that's valid for three months from the date of issue.

You need to bring this original certificate (and an original Victorian roadworthy certificate) when you register the vehicle at VicRoads. Check out Registering a repairable write-off for details.

Lost your Victorian VIV Certificate? 

If you lose your certificate, send an email to [email protected] that includes:

  • the vehicle's details (VIN, engine number and, if known, the registration number)
  • your name, licence number, and phone number
  • the details of your upcoming registration appointment (if applicable), or when and where you plan on registering the vehicle
  • a statutory declaration that explains how the certificate was lost or damaged

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).