Tow-away zones

Overview of the penalties if you park in a clearway.

clearway signIf you park in a clearway zone during the restricted times, your vehicle can be towed away.

A clearway is a section of road where parking and stopping is not allowed at the times shown on the clearway sign.

Clearways are put on some main roads which have more traffic during peak hours. They help keep the traffic flowing and maintain safety.

Impound storage yards

If your vehicle has been towed you can collect it from an impound yard.

The secure storage yard is located at 34 Cromwell Street, Collingwood (Melways reference 2C G12). The yard is open from 7am to 9pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays. It is also close to tram and train lines.

To arrange collection of your vehicle contact the impound yard on 13 48 69.

The City of Melbourne (External link) and the City of Port Phillip (External link) have their own towing arrangements. You will need to contact them directly if you vehicle is towed in these councils.

Fees & Costs

If you park in a clearway during restricted times and your vehicle is towed away the fees include:

  • $361 to release your vehicle
  • if you do not collect your vehicle within 5 days, $15.20 storage fee for every day after that until you collect the vehicle.

Frequently asked questions

Signs will show the clearway times and remind you that if you illegally park your car in these zones, it will be towed away.

The VicRoads towing contractor is authorised to remove your illegally parked vehicle during clearway operating hours.

If you have parked illegally in a clearway and your car is gone when you return check the clearway signs. There is a sticker on each sign post which will tell you what number you can call to enquire about your car.

Call the number on the clearway sign; the phone number is 13 48 69. Your car will have been taken to an impound yard. By calling the number you can arrange to collect your car. To retrieve your car you will need to:

  • go to the impound yard
  • provide proof of identity
  • pay the associated release fee.

You must call the number before going to the impound yard to collect your vehicle.

To retrieve your vehicle, you must provide proof of identity and pay the release fee. Only in exceptional circumstances will your car be released without you paying the fee. An example of exceptional circumstances would be where there was a genuine medical emergency. You would need to provide proof of this before the release fee could be waived.

Only in exceptional circumstances and with supporting documentation will VicRoads consider refunding the tow fee.

VicRoads considers ‘exceptional circumstances’ to be demonstrable and unpredicted situations outside of a person’s control that would reasonably prevent them from ensuring their vehicle was legally parked, such as a medical emergency or a vehicle breakdown. A doctor’s appointment that has run late or over the scheduled time will not be considered a medical emergency.

If you think your car should not have been towed, you can write to VicRoads and request a review of the tow. You will need to provide details as to the time, date and location of the tow plus the reasons why you believe your car should not have been towed.

Based on the information you provide, VicRoads will review the circumstances of the tow. VicRoads will not refund the release fee in circumstances where the clearway signs have been misread. If your appeal is based on medical grounds, you may be required to have your fitness to drive reviewed by VicRoads.

Please address correspondence to:

Clearway Towing Administrator
Locked Bag 9000
Kew 3101

Correspondence regarding vehicles that have been towed from the City of Melbourne and the City of Port Phillip should be directed to the relevant council.

The towing contractor, Nationwide Towing, is responsible for the care of vehicles towed. If you believe that your car was damaged during towing please contact them on 13 48 69.

If you would like to report a vehicle parked illegally in a clearway tow-away zone on an arterial road please contact the VicRoads Traffic Management Centre on 13 11 70.

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...