About Victoria's toll roads

Find out more about CityLink and EastLink, including how to identify them when travelling and planning your journey.

There are two toll roads in Victoria - CityLink and EastLink. These are both operated by private companies Linkt and ConnectEast, respectively.

What are toll roads and where are they?

Toll roads are roads where you have to pay a fee to travel on them. There are two toll roads in Victoria:

  • CityLink, which  connects the Tullamarine Freeway, West Gate Freeway and Monash Freeway; and
  • EastLink, which connects the Eastern Freeway, Monash Freeway, Frankston Freeway and Peninsula Link Freeway.

Victoria’s toll roads are operated by private companies through a partnership arrangement between the Victorian government and the private sector. This partnership required the private sector companies to design, build, finance and maintain these toll roads. To compensate for their costs and risk, they are allowed to charge tolls at specified levels. 

Victorian Tolls Roads map showing CityLink and EastLink toll roads

View larger version of Victorian Toll Roads map 

How to recognise toll roads and plan your travel

Victoria’s toll roads have distinctive blue signs with yellow lettering. You’ll see these signs as you’re approaching a toll road as well as at regular intervals along the toll road itself. These signs may show details about the toll road operator and how to contact them for payment.

Image of a Toll Road sign over the Monash Freeway

Planning and paying for your trip

Plan for your trip

There are multiple tools that allow you to include or exclude tollways when planning your trip. 

Examples of tools include:

  • Melways maps (toll roads are shown in blue)
  • Google maps 
  • GPS devices

To estimate the cost of your trip or to view the toll point locations, refer to the links below

Pay for your trip 

  • You pay electronically for using the toll roads by either buying a temporary pass, or opening an account with the relevant toll road corporation.

When travelling on Victoria’s toll roads, CityLink and EastLink, you are required to pay a toll. Find out how to pay for your trip.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).