More ways to travel

Find out how you can avoid a trip, or travel using a method, time or route that will lessen the impact of your travel.

You’re not stuck in traffic – you are traffic! It’s no fun being held up on a congested road and it’s not great for the environment either. So here are some pointers that may help you with your travel planning.

Can the trip be avoided?

Perhaps the service you are seeking is available online, or maybe Telework is an alternative to travelling to work on some days at your workplace. While at work, consider if you can use video or teleconferences to avoid an off-site meeting.

Is there a more efficient way to travel?

Walking can be a good option, especially for trips less than 2km in length, and cycling may be another option for some, especially for trips less than 5km in length. These types of distances can be travelled in about 20 minutes which is usually a pretty comfortable travel time for most people.

Or, you might be able to combine walking and/or cycling with public transport (PT). PT is particularly effective where the journey can be made on a single mode, or with just one change, and where stops are located close to your origin and destination.

If taking the car is the only option, see if you can make the trip with others. Also consider going to a more local shop or service, or doing lots of things in one trip instead of separate trips for everything.

Can you leave at a different time?

Where you can, consider making appointments outside of peak commuter periods. Even for work commuter trips, you may wish to consider flexible working arrangements if these are offered at your workplace, so that you can travel at a time that is efficient for your particular commute. Checking real time travel conditions before leaving is also worthwhile, so you can alter your departure time accordingly.

Can you travel via an alternative route?

Before you travel, make sure you visit our VicTraffic app (External link) to view live traffic conditions.  VicTraffic can help you identify any incidents that may impact your journey helping you to decide whether to change your route or leave at a different time.

Why not check the weather at Victoria weather (External link) as well? If it looks like rain, you may need to allow more time for your journey. If the weather is fine, it might be nice to walk or ride, particularly if your trip is short.

Department of Transport  has all the information you need to use public transport in Victoria, including journey planner, timetables, service disruptions and ticketing information.

If you're in Melbourne, you can find out when your tram is coming via your Android device or iPhone by using real time tram arrival information provided through Yarra Trams’ tramTRACKER application.

The Taxi Services Commission  (TSC) regulates the taxi and hire vehicle industries and provides journey, fare and safety information for taxi passengers.

The City of Melbourne manages a Safe City taxi rank scheme designed to ensure people can get home safely late at night. Each rank has a uniformed security officer and is monitored by security cameras. Visit Melbourne Taxi – Safe City Rank (External link).

A similar service operates in the City of Geelong between 1am - 6am Saturday and Sunday mornings with security personnel around to ensure you get home safely. Visit Geelong Taxi – Safe City Ranks (External link).

For information about staying safe when walking, please visit our Pedestrian safety page.

The Department of Transport (DoT) has information on planning for walking networks.

Additional information about walking can be found at Victoria Walks (External link) or Pedestrian Council of Australia (External link).

If you’re in a situation where you don’t always need to use a car, or if you’d like to avoid having a second car, then car sharing may be an option to help you save money and still get from A to B.

The RACV Car Costs website has information on the costs of owning and operating a car, while cost efficient car share options offered by the City of Melbourne are available at the Carshare –Melbourne website (External link)

Powered two wheeled vehicles, which include motorcycles and scooters, can be an attractive alternative form of transport to the car for daily commuting.

Depending on the choice of vehicle, they can be cheaper to buy and operate than a car, a more efficient way to travel in congested traffic and easier and cheaper to park.

Many motorcycles and scooters produce lower greenhouse gas emissions than cars, but many also emit high levels of other air pollutants. Remember to research the fuel consumption and emission performance of different vehicle options.

For more information about staying safe when riding, please visit our Motorcyclist safety section

Two wheeled motorised personal mobility device referred to as a segway

We’ll be starting a trial, from 9 August 2016, involving the use of an electric personal transporter (commonly known as a Segway) for tourism purposes.

What is a Segway?

Segway™ is a brand that has pioneered a new form of vehicle category known as Electric Personal Transporters (EPTs). EPTs usually use electric propulsion and gyro-stabilisation, which allows people to travel around urban environments at low speed. Segways are generally designed to carry one person over a medium range distance for recreational or commuting use.  

What is the tourism trial?

Under Victorian law, Segways are considered to be a form of motor vehicle, so they can’t be used on roads, footpaths or public areas because they do not meet motor vehicle legislation.

This trial will involve us working with interested tour operators and councils to design and approve specific routes and areas for supervised Segway tours. The Segways will be used for tourism purposes and operated in a controlled manner and under particular conditions.  

Laws to allow Segway tour trials will commence on Tuesday 9 August 2016 and are expected to run for two years. We hope that through partnerships with interested municipal councils and shires we can help to promote tourism opportunities throughout Victoria.


Where will the trial be?

To begin with, the City of Greater Geelong and the City of Greater Bendigo will be participating in a limited Segway Trial.

We will be working with the participating councils and tour operators in the coming weeks to determine suitable routes.

Consultation about the trial

Government departments covering tourism, enforcement, local governments and vulnerable road user groups representing pedestrians, cyclists and the vision impaired were consulted and have contributed to the development of the trial framework. 

Trial funding

Neither VicRoads nor councils will be providing any funding for tourism operators or participants to take part in this trial.

What type of EPTs can be used for the trial?

EPTs such as Segways that meet the following requirements:
  • two wheels that operate on a single axis;
  • designed to be self-balancing while a person is using it;
  • propelled by an electric motor; 
  • steered by a handlebar; 
  • fitted with a horn or bell;
  • maximum width of 850mm; 
  • maximum weight of 60kg when not carrying a person or any load;
  • has a maximum speed of 25km/hr by design; and
  • fitted with a device that can limit the maximum speed to 10 km/h whilst being used.

A Segway™ brand EPT (see inset) is a device that meets the above definition, making it suitable for use in the trial.

Information for participants & riders

Can I participate in a Segway tour?
You must be at least 12 years of age to participate in an approved Segway tour.

You must wear a bicycle helmet and use the Segway provided by the tour (which has its maximum speed limited to 10 km/hr). Tour routes will generally be confined to footpaths, shared paths, separated and bicycle paths and riders must give way to other vulnerable road users. 

Where can I find a tourism operator?
To obtain more information about the tour or cost to participate in a Segway tour, you will need to contact participating councils directly or perform an online search for Segway tourism operators. VicRoads do not maintain a list of commercial tourism operators offering Segway tours. 

Can I use my own Segway on the road or footpath?
Only Segways supplied by a commercial Segway tour operator can be used as part of a supervised tour. 

Personal Segways or EPTs can only be used on private property with permission from the land owner. You cannot use them on places such as roads, footpaths, nature strips, bicycle paths, public parks or public car parks.

What road rules apply to an EPT rider?
An EPT rider must stay on an approved footpath, nature strip, bicycle path or shared path and have proper control of the device at all times, giving way to vulnerable road users such as pedestrians. 

The following information is from the Road Safety Road Rules 2009. You can view these rules by following the instructions on how to locate them on our Road Management Act, regulations and codes page.   

A person using an EPT must:
  • keep as far to the left as possible (within reason) 
  • give way to other pedestrians
  • keep out of the path of any bicycle
  • obey bicycle crossing lights where applicable
  • wear an approved bicycle helmet
  • be 12 years of age or older
  • use the shortest safe route to cross a road
  • obey a ‘no electric personal transporters’ sign 
A person using an EPT must not:
  • travel on a road if there is a bicycle path, footpath, nature strip or shared path unless it is not possible to do so
  • travel on a road that has;
    • a dividing line or median strip, or
    • a speed-limit greater than 50km/h, or 
    • on a one-way road with more than one marked lane 
  • travel on a road or road related area at night
  • travel alongside more than one other pedestrian or vehicle travelling in the same direction unless overtaking a pedestrian
  • use a mobile phone while the EPT is moving unless making or receiving a phone call or to use its audio/music function and the phone;
    • is secured in a commercially designed holder fixed to the electric personal transporter, or
    • can be operated without touching any part of the phone and the phone is not resting on any part of the person
  • travel on a road or road related area unless the electric personal transporter has at least one effective brake, and a bell, horn or similar warning device in working order.

Feedback from tour participants
You may be asked to participate in a short survey so we along with councils can collect information for use when evaluating the trial periodically and to further refine the legal framework around EPT use.

Information for Tourism Operators

I own a tourism business. How can I participate in the trial?
To be involved in a trial, commercial tour operators can initially contact our contact centre on 13 11 71.

We can then advise the level of interest from the relevant local council. If this information is not available, you will be required to approach the relevant local council or shire to find out whether they can take part in a trial. Once you have received the support of local council in writing, and a suitable tour route/area has been nominated and agreed by council, please emailed us on [email protected] and an application form can be sent out. 

With all information in place, we can then have them declare and approve in a Victorian Government Gazette. Once the gazette has been published, and once you have obtained all the other council permit(s), such as trading licenses, you can start your supervised EPT tourism trial.  

Information for councils/land managers

Are there opportunities for other councils / land managers to come on board?
Yes, interested councils and land managers can contact us to get a specific route approved for a trial. Please contact our contact centre on 13 11 71 or email us on [email protected] for further information. 

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...