Manual for traffic control at stock crossings
This Manual is to be used by farmers, drovers and other people who have a stock crossing permit from a coordinating road authority (VicRoads or municipal Council) - or who are exempted by a local law from the need to have a permit - to have stock on roads or road reserves in Victoria.
View the Manual for Traffic Control at Stock Crossings [PDF 1.9Mb]
Stock crossing information
The information below provides guidance on the application and assessment process for the installation of Stock Crossing signs on roads throughout Victoria.
Applying for a Stock crossing permit
- Need to determine who the Coordinating Road Authority is. Will the proposed stock crossing be located on an arterial road? Use Maps of Declared Roads to find out what type of road you are proposing to cross stock on.
- If the proposed Stock Crossing will be located on a MUNICIPAL road discuss your application with the relevant municipal Council signing officer.
- If the proposed Stock Crossing will be located on an ARTERIAL road discuss your application with the relevant VicRoads officer detailed in the table below.
- For Stock Crossings located on an ARTERIAL Road complete the Application for a Stock Crossing Permit & Consent for Works on a Road form [PDF 538 Kb]
- Lodge your form with the signing officer at the relevant VicRoads office
VicRoads will, within 21 days, notify you whether:
- the application has been approved, including the reasoning for any conditions;
- the application has been rejected, including why;
- the application has been referred to other authorities for consideration; or
- additional information is required.
This Flowchart will assist you in further understanding the process involved in applying for a Stock Crossing permit.
View an example of what the Stock Control permit and Consent for Works on a Road [PDF 1 Mb] looks like.
Additional detailed information for Stock Crossings applicants is provided in the document below. This additional information should be read in conjunction with the Manual for Traffic Control at Stock Crossings.
Additional Information For Stock Crossings Applicants [PDF 107 Kb]
VicRoads Stock crossing contact list