Using an interpreter or translator

If you need to speak with us in a language other than English, you can call an interpreter or translator for help.

How can I use an interpreter? 

If you need help making an appointment or completing a form, you can get help from your family, friends or a VicRoads office. 

If you need an interpreter or assistance to sit a VicRoads test, you’ll need to visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre and we can book this for you.

Speech and hearing impairments

If you have a speech or hearing impairment, you can use an Auslan interpreter for your test. To speak to us over the phone, contact us through the National Relay Service. (External link)

  • TTY users - call 13 36 77 then ask for 13 11 71
  • Speak and Listen users - call 1300 555 727 then ask for 13 11 71

Translating your driver licence, learner permit or documents

If your driver licence or learner permit is not in English, you must have it translated by any NAATI accredited translator (External link) (External link), or an appropriate consulate in Australia. Fees may apply.

You can use a translated current International Driver Permit if it complies with the UN Convention for international driving permits and:

  • is issued by the country which issued your overseas driver licence
  • contains the first issue date, licence categories, expiry date, your full name and date of birth.

Recommended translators and interpreters

We recommend the following NAATI accredited translators:

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...