How to get your Ps

You must be at least 18 years of age and a Victorian resident to be eligible to apply for a probationary driver licence.

When am I eligible to get my Ps? 

To apply for your probationary driver licence you must be 18 years of age or older and;

  • have a Victorian residential address
  • meet evidence of identity requirements
  • not be currently suspended, cancelled, disqualified or refused from obtaining a probationary driver licence
  • not be currently subject to a Fines Victoria licence sanction
  • not have any outstanding relicensing requirements i.e. Licence Eligibility Order
  • have passed all the appropriate tests
  • pay the appropriate fees
  • if under the age of 21, have completed and recorded in your  learner logbook and a minimum of 120 hours of supervised driving, including at least 20 hours at night (unless an exemption has been granted)
  • hold a current car learner permit for a continuous minimum period immediately before applying for a driver licence (unless an exemption from this requirement has been granted).

* If your learner permit was issued PRIOR to 1 November 2017, you are only required to complete a minimum of 10 hours of night time driving.

What tests do I need to take?

To get your Ps, you’ll need to pass the following tests:

If you Test requirements
Currently hold a learner permit.
Have held a motorcycle licence within
the last 5 years.
If you’ve indicated on your application form that you have a medical or eyesight condition.
  • A medical or eyesight report may be required (see more below).

Driving with a medical condition, injury or treatment

If your ability to drive is affected by an illness, disability, medical condition or injury or because of the effect of the treatment of any of those things, you’ll need to get medical report(s) for our Medical Review team before you make the appointment to take the tests. 

You must provide a medical report and get clearance from VicRoads before you can be issued with a driver licence. If you are not sure whether you need to supply a medical report please call VicRoads on 13 11 71

Minimum period the car learner permit must be held

You must hold your car learner permit for a minimum continuous period immediately before applying for your licence.

Age How long the car learner
permit must be held continuously for
Under 21 12 months
21 to under 25 6 months
25 or older 3 months

Any period prior to when your car learner permit was suspended or cancelled or allowed to expire is excluded when calculating the period of time you have held a learner permit. 

Exemption on the basis of undue hardship

If you are unable to hold a car learner permit for the minimum time requirement due to undue hardship, you can apply for an exemption.

Recognition of time a motorcycle learner permit or licence held

If you have held your Victorian motorcycle learner permit or motorcycle licence for more than 12 months, VicRoads may reduce the minimum time you need to hold a car learner permit for.

Taking the Hazard Perception Test online or in-person

The Hazard Perception Test is a computer-based test that assesses your ability to recognise and respond to potential hazards in the safest way possible.

It makes sure that you’re prepared for all kinds of hazards that you wouldn’t usually encounter during your Drive Test.

You must successfully complete the Hazard Perception Test before you take the Drive Test.

There are two ways you can take the test:

The Hazard Perception Test Online (HPTO) is currently available in English only.

If you speak a language other than English and require an interpreter, have an overseas licence or don’t have access to a computer or internet you’ll need to book an appointment to take The Hazard Perception Test In-person.

Overseas licence or permit holders

To be eligible to take the Hazard Perception Test Online (HPTO), you must have completed the Learner Permit Test (online or in-person) within the past 12 months.

If you have completed the Learner Permit Test Online (LPTO) and you’re from a non-recognised country or you’re from a country where your driver experience is recognised and you’re under 25 years old and want to complete the HPTO, you’ll need to book an overseas licence verification appointment (External link) before you register.

Note: If you’re completing one or both tests in-person (the Learner Permit Test In-person or the Hazard Perception Test In-person) at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre, your overseas licence verification will be completed at your first in-person visit.

Same day in-person bookings

If you’ve booked or taken your Hazard Perception Test In-person on the same day as your Drive Test and you’re unsuccessful at passing the Hazard Perception Test:

Test results

When you have completed the Hazard Perception Test, you’ll receive your results straight away. Your Hazard Perception Test results are valid for 12 months.

How to book your Hazard Perception Test

Go to Hazard Perception Test to find out how to take the test online or how to book an appointment to take the test in-person.

Vaccination requirements for Drive Tests

From Monday 20 December, customers who book a VicRoads Drive Test appointment must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide evidence from a PCR COVID-19 testing site of a negative test taken within 72 hours of the Drive Test appointment.

These new requirements also apply to instructors and interpreters participating in the Drive Test.

All VicRoads Licence Testing Officers are fully vaccinated.

Customers will be informed of these new requirements at the time they book their appointment and in the subsequent booking confirmation. 

For Drive Test appointments booked from 20 December, a VicRoads Licence Testing Officer will ask to sight evidence that the customer is fully vaccinated or has received a negative PCR test via SMS in the 72 hours prior, when they arrive for their Drive Test. VicRoads will not be keeping a record of the evidence sighted. 

Customers who have a future Drive Test appointment that was booked prior to 20 December are not subject to these new requirements. However, they must still comply with our COVD-safe measures which includes wearing a face mask during the Drive Test.

For medical review customers and customers seeking  all other registration and licensing transactions, services and appointments within our Customer Service Centres, this requirement does not apply.

The Drive Test must be taken within 12 months of completing the Hazard Perception Test. You won’t be able to take the Drive Test until you pass the Hazard Perception Test. 

We recommend you leave at least a few days between taking your Hazard Perception Test In-person and booking your Drive Test in case you need additional attempts to pass.

The Drive Test checks to see if you're ready to drive safely on your own with other traffic. You must pass the Drive Test to get your Victorian probationary licence.

The Drive Test is made up of two parts:

  • a pre-drive check and
  • on-road driving.

What do I bring to the Drive Test appointment?

To undertake your Drive Test, you’ll need to bring:

  • your learner permit card (or where this has been lost or misplaced, your original evidence of identity documents)
  • 120 hours of supervised driving in your myLearners app or logbook (if applicable)
  • your vehicle (or your instructor’s vehicle) to use for the Drive Test.

Please note: VicRoads does not supply vehicles for a Drive Test.

Payment and receipt of proof

After you pass the Drive Test you’ll need to pay for your licence.

You’ll get a receipt as proof of your Ps that you can use to drive, until you receive your probationary driver licence card. This receipt is valid for 3 months, or until the day that you receive your probationary driver licence card in the mail.

Test results

When you have completed the drive test you will receive your results straight away. Your drive test results are valid for 12 months.

Probationary driver licence type and receipt

If you have passed the drive test you will need to pay for your licence.

You’ll get a receipt as proof of your Ps that you can use to drive, until you receive your probationary driver licence card. This receipt is valid for 3 months, or until the day that you receive your probationary driver licence card in the mail.

The type of probationary driver licence issued will depend on your age:

Age Description
Under 21 A 4 year probationary licence with 12 months
at P1 level and 3 years at P2 level *
21 or older A 3 year probationary licence at P2 level *

*If you hold or have held an overseas driver licence, the period of time you need to hold a probationary driver licence may differ.

*Check the conditions and restrictions that apply to probationary driver licences.

How to book your Drive Test

You can make a booking and pay the appointment fee:

* A card payment fee applies

** All VicRoads Customer Service Centre's accept cash except for:

What if I need to change my appointment?

You can book a new time or cancel: 

You can only change your appointment and transfer your test fee if:

  • you made the booking 
  • you give us at least 24 hours notice.

If you don’t give us at least 24 hours notice:

  • You’ll lose your booking 
  • You’ll lose your test fees
  • You won’t be able to get a refund.

If you’re more than five minutes late on the day you’ll need to: 

  • make a new booking
  • pay a new fee.

Concessions can’t be used for any of these fees.

Changes to overseas driver licences

From 1 September 2015, if you fail a VicRoads practical driving test you'll no longer be able to drive in Victoria using your overseas driver licence.

More information on the changes to overseas driver licence rules

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).