Replace your licence or learner permit

How to replace your licence or permit if it’s lost, stolen or damaged.

Before you order a replacement licence

Check that your personal details are up to date

When you order a replacement licence, we’ll send your card to the address on our records. You can update your address online, call us on 13 11 71 or go to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. When you change your details online, it can take up to 72 hours for your details to update.

What do I do if my licence or permit has been stolen?

If your licence or permit has been stolen, make sure you’ve contacted your local police station (External link) to report a theft. 

How do I replace my licence or permit?


* A card payment fee applies

By phone 

Call us on 13 11 71 from within Australia or on +61 3 8391 3216 from overseas (Mon-Fri 8.00am - 5.30pm, Sat 8.30am - 12.30pm) with

  • your name and personal details 
  • your licence number (if possible) 
  • payment for the replacement fee (by VISA or Mastercard* only)

*A card payment fee applies

We’ll give you a receipt number that you must carry when driving, until you get your replacement card.

At a VicRoads Customer Service Centre

You’ll need to:

When do I need to have evidence of identity?

You’ll need evidence of identity if:

  • We don’t have a current photo of you and/or 
  • Your personal details have changed.

By mail

Send us:

Mail this to:

Licence Correspondence
Locked Bag 7000
Kew VIC 3101

What if I can’t get to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre?  

If you can’t get to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre or you’re interstate or overseas, you can mail a cheque for the replacement fee to

Licence Correspondence
Locked Bag 7000
Kew VIC 3101

How long will it take to get my replacement?

Your replacement card will be mailed to the address we have on our records within 10 business days. 

How much does it cost to replace a licence or permit?

Go to driver licence and learner permit fees to see more.

Can I replace my licence or permit from interstate or overseas? 

Yes, the process for ordering a replacement licence or permit is the same if you’re interstate or overseas.

Need more help?

Call 13 11 71 and speak to one of our friendly staff who can help.

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...