Register a trailer or caravan

The steps for registering a trailer or caravan are the same.

If you are subject to a Fines Victoria sanction or have a Fines Victoria sanction pending you may not be able to proceed with your appointment. Your appointment fees will be forfeited. For more information contact Fines Victoria on 1300 396 851.

Trailers and caravans being registered for the first time in Australia require an entry on the Register of Approved Vehicles (RAV) to be eligible for registration in Victoria.

You must also ensure that trailers and caravans comply with the applicable standards listed at the top of the modify a light trailer or caravan page.

Visit the Department of Infrastructure, Transport & Vehicles website (External link) to learn more about the transitional arrangements, including information about:

Who can register?

A trailer or caravan can be registered in the name of an individual or company.

You'll need a VicRoads customer number to register a caravan or trailer. This is a unique number issued by VicRoads to individuals or companies.

For individuals

Your VicRoads customer number is your:

  • learner permit or 
  • driver licence number.

If you don’t have a licence but have a vehicle registered in your name, the customer number is recorded on your registration renewal notice.

If you don’t have a Victorian licence or VicRoads customer number, you must visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre (External link) and provide full evidence of identity documents (External link)

For companies

The VicRoads customer number of your company is:

  • on your company’s myVicRoads account or
  • on any registration renewal notice issued for vehicles registered in your company’s name

If your company doesn’t have a VicRoads customer number, you must visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre and provide full evidence of identity documents (External link) for your company.

Please note: Online appointments can only be booked in a personal name. Where the vehicle is to be registered in a company name, please ensure all paperwork reflect the company as the applicant.

What age can you register?

You must be at least 16 years old to register a light trailer or caravan or at least 18 years old to register a heavy trailer or caravan in your name. If you’re underage, someone else can register a vehicle in their name for you.

What if I’m towing my trailer interstate?

If you’re towing your trailer interstate, you should register it in Victoria before you go.

What if the registration has expired?

You cannot tow your trailer while its registration is expired. You can renew your registration for up to three months after your expiry date.

What is the aggregate trailer mass?

Also called the gross trailer mass, the aggregate trailer mass (ATM) is the total weight (tare) plus the load capacity of the trailer or caravan. The ATM is also commonly called the gross trailer mass (GTM). The requirements for registering a trailer or caravan will vary based on its type, it’s ATM and what it’s used for.

How do I find the ATM?

Usually, the ATM is on the manufacturer’s trailer identification plate which is on your trailer or caravan. If you’re unsure:

Can my trailer be exempt from registration?

If you’ve got a light trailer (other than a trailer specifically built to carry a boat) it will be exempt from registration  in Victoria if it:
  • weighs less (tare mass) than 200kg unladen
  • isn’t wider than the towing vehicle 
  • is 3 metres or less in length, including the draw-bar
  • isn’t used for business.

You can still choose to register your trailer if it’s exempt from registration. If it’s exempt and not registered, it needs to show the same registration number as the towing vehicle or you can buy an exempt trailer plate.

How to apply for registration

For light trailers
I have a light trailer with an ATM up to 750kg

You'll need to:

My trailer has an ATM over 750kg but less than or equal to 4.5 tonnes

You'll need to:

  • ensure the vehicle VIN is stamped on the trailer and a trailer identification plate is affixed.
  • make sure the  trailer's VIN is recorded on the Register of Approved Vehicles. This applies to all trailers that have never been registered in Australia.
  • make sure the trailer complies with the applicable standards
  • provide a completed and signed Vehicle Registration Form [PDF 209 Kb]
  • book an inspection of your trailer at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre.
For heavy trailers
I have a trailer with an ATM over 4.5 tonne 

You’ll need to:

What type of fees will I have to pay?

A card payment fee applies if you pay by VISA or Mastercard.

This applies to all trailers that have never been registered in Australia.

To check if your trailer is on the RAV visit link).

If your trailer has previously been registered in Australia and the VIN or chassis number stamped on the vehicle matches the last registration record, then your trailer doesn’t need to be recorded on the RAV.  

If your trailer was previously registered in Australia but the VIN or chassis number is not stamped on it, you’ll need to take the trailer to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to be inspected before you make an appointment to have it registered. 

If you have a heavy trailer, you’ll need to get a Certificate of Roadworthiness and bring this to your appointment. You can get a certificate from a Roadworthy tester.

To book an appointment at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre you’ll need: 

We’ll let you know if your trailer needs an inspection when you book your appointment.

How do I book?

You can:

*A card payment fee applies if you pay by VISA or Mastercard.

**All VicRoads Customer Service Centres accept cash except for:

What if I need to cancel or change my appointment?

The appointment can only be changed by the holder. 

If you change or cancel you might have to: 

A refund can be given if you give us more than 24 hours' notice of cancelling your appointment. 

You can change your appointment online (External link).

What if I’m running late?

VicRoads Customer Service Centres will try their best to accommodate late arrivals but there is no guarantee. If you’re running late, you may be required to transfer your appointment to another time and pay another fee.

You’ll need:

  • The trailer (if it needs to be inspected).
  • Evidence of the trailer's weight:
    • For trailers up to 4500kg - the tare weight and ATM must be displayed on the trailer identification plate or the RAV.
    • If previously registered - a weighbridge docket stating the tare weight.
    • For trailers over 4500kg - the tare weight must be displayed on the trailer identification plate or the RAV.
  • Tools and screws to put your number plate on before you leave VicRoads.

Evidence of your Victorian garage address

If your garage address isn’t the same as your evidence of identity, you’ll need: 

  • a document as proof that links you to the Victorian garage address such as a rates or utility bill.
  • an RMB (Road side mailbox) or RSD (Road side delivery) if the home or business can’t be identified by a street or road name.


Bring the items listed in step 4 as well as payment for registration (cash, VISA or Mastercard*, EFTPOS, cheque or money order).

Here’s what you pay for:

*A card payment fee applies if you pay by VISA or Mastercard.

**All VicRoads Customer Service Centres accept cash except for:

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).