Driving with an interstate licence or permit

Using your interstate driver licence or permit in Victoria.

Did you know about the extension of time for interstate drivers to convert to a Victorian licence? Use the online tool on this page to work out the date by which you need to convert to a Victorian licence and the type of licence they’ll get.

You’ll need to convert your interstate licence to a Victorian licence.

The type of licence or permit you'll get as well as the tests and appointments you'll need to take depend on:

  • How old you are 
  • How long you've had your licence for (this doesn't include your learner permit)

Convert my interstate licence or permit (External link)

You won’t need to convert your interstate driver licence.

You can drive in Victoria using your interstate driver licence or interstate learner permit. When using your interstate licence to drive in Victoria, all the road rules and laws apply to you.

It’s also important to keep in mind that your interstate licence or interstate permit needs to be current and valid.

To drive using your interstate learner permit, you must have a supervising driver seated beside you when driving. Your supervised driver must have a current and full licence for the type of vehicle you’re driving.

Need more help?

If you need more help with your interstate licence, call 13 11 71 and speak to one of our friendly staff who can help.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...