Cancel (surrender) your licence and/or learner permit

If you no longer wish to hold a Victorian licence and/or learner permit, you can cancel (surrender) it voluntarily.

Authority to cancel

The following persons are authorised to surrender a Victorian licence and/or learner permit:

  • the licence/learner permit holder
  • a person with written authorisation from the licence holder
  • the authorised representative of a deceased estate (refer to Deceased Estate pack [PDF 927 Kb] for further information)
  • an appointed administrator who can provide Letters of Administration
  • a person who is legally appointed to act for another person (Power of Attorney).

Cancel your licence and apply for a refund

You can surrender your licence and apply for a refund in person or by post by completing a refunds form [PDF 262 Kb].

Where an authorised person is completing the transaction, they must provide written authority from the licence holder and documentation as detailed above to support the request.

Cancel in person

You or an authorised person can visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre, complete a refunds form and hand in the card(s).

Cancel by post

You or an authorised person can send a completed refunds form and card(s) to VicRoads GPO Box 1644 Melbourne, VIC 3001

Supporting documents

All documentation must be originals or certified copies. Please note documentation will not be returned.


A refund may be payable to the licence holder or, where the licence holder is deceased, to the Estate. At least one month’s currency must be available on the licence. A processing fee may also be applicable and if so, will be deducted from the refund amount. VicRoads is not required to issue a refund if the refund amount is less than the processing fee. No refund is payable for the cancellation of a learner permit.

A refund cheque will be sent to you in approximately 4 to 6 weeks.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...