Marine licence

To operate a registered boat in Victoria, you need a marine licence. To use Personal Watercrafts (PWC) like jet-skis, your marine licence needs a PWC endorsement. You can get a marine and PWC licence by taking a test, or by converting an interstate or overseas licence.


You need to be at least 12 years old to be issued with a marine licence. For a Personal Watercraft (PWC) endorsement, you need to be at least 16.

You also need to meet basic medical and eyesight standards.

You can’t get a Victorian marine licence if you have an interstate or overseas marine licence that’s suspended, cancelled or disqualified.

Restricted marine licences

If you’re between 12 and 16 years old, you can only apply for a restricted marine licence.

When you turn 16, you automatically get a full marine licence. Keep using the same licence card, but you don’t need to follow the restrictions any more.

Once you’re 16, you can also take the test for a PWC (jet-ski) endorsement if you want.

Marine licence restrictions

If you have a restricted marine licence, you can't:

  • operate a vessel between sunset and sunrise
  • tow a person, another vessel or an object, or
  • operate at a speed of 10 knots or more.

Interstate or overseas marine licence holders

If you will be operating a vessel in Victoria for more than three months, you need to get a Victorian marine licence.

To convert an interstate/overseas marine licence, book and pay for a licence changeover appointment.

To convert your marine licence to a Victorian marine licence:

  • your licence needs to be current (or expired less than 5 years ago),
  • your licence can’t be suspended, cancelled, or disqualified, and
  • you need to meet basic medical and eyesight standards.

You’ll need to provide proof of your interstate/overseas licence - usually the licence card is enough.

If you have any documents that aren’t in English, remember to get an approved translation.

Interstate/overseas licence conditions

If you have any conditions on your interstate or overseas licence, you’ll have the same condition/s on your Victorian licence.

Getting your Victorian marine licence

The test(s)

To get a marine licence, you need to take a marine licence knowledge test and an eyesight test.

To operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC), you'll also need to take a PWC endorsement test.

You can take these tests at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre, or with an accredited training provider.

For a list of accredited training providers, visit Maritime Safety Victoria.

Marine licence knowledge test

The test has 30 multiple choice questions. To pass, you need to answer at least 26 questions correctly.

The PWC endorsement test has 15 multiple choice questions, and you need to get at least 13 right to pass. If you don’t want to operate a personal watercraft, you don’t need to take this test.

These are two separate tests, and you need to book an appointment for each one.

To study for your test/s, get a free copy of the Victorian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook from Maritime Safety Victoria or from a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. You can also try the marine licence and PWC endorsement practice tests.

Bring to your appointment:

  1. your evidence of identity, and
  2. a completed licence or learner permit application form [PDF 829 Kb].

When you finish the test, you’ll get your results straight away. If you’re successful, you can pay for your marine licence and you’re ready to set sail!

Refer to marine licence fees for information about marine licence fees.

Exceptions from sitting a marine knowledge test

You don’t need to take the marine knowledge test if you have:

  • an interstate or overseas marine licence, and you’ve been operating in Victoria waters for less than three months, or
  • a valid Certificate of Competency* issued by Transport Safety Victoria (formerly Marine Safety Victoria) in the last 10 years.

*These don’t include PWC endorsements, so if you want to operate a Personal Watercraft, you still need to take the PWC endorsement test.

Test result validity

Test results are valid for 12 months.

If you don't pay for your marine licence within 12 months from the date you passed the test, you’ll need to pass the test again.


If you pass the test at an accredited training provider, they’ll give you a certificate that’s valid for 12 months.

If you have a valid certificate, visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre with your:

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...