The Learner Permit Test In-person

If you can’t take the Learner Permit Test Online, find out how you can take the test at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. 

What’s the Learner Permit Test In-person?

If you can't take the Learner Permit Test Online, you can still take the Learner Permit Test In-person if:

  • you speak a language other than English or require an interpreter
  • don’t have access to a computer or internet to complete the Learner Permit Test Online or
  • you prefer to complete the test in-person. 

Available languages

The Learner Permit Test In-person is available in these languages: 

Albanian, Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese (Mandarin), English, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Serbian, Sinhalese, Somali, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese.  

If your language isn’t listed above, you may need to book an interpreter at your nearest VicRoads Customer Service Centre.

How do I take the Learner Permit Test In-person?

To take the Learner Permit Test In-person, make sure that you’ve:

If you’re ready to take the test, book an appointment or follow the steps below for more information.

Take the practice test Book an appointment

Check your eligibility

To take the Learner Permit Test In-person you must:

What if I have a medical condition?

If you have an illness, disability, medical condition, injury or are undertaking medical treatment that affects your ability to drive, you’ll need to get medical report(s) for our Medical Review team before you can get your learner permit.

For more information, visit medical conditions and driving or call us on 13 11 71.

Prepare for the test

To prepare for the test you should:

Once you’re ready, you can book an appointment: 

* A card payment fee applies

** All VicRoads Customer Service Centres accept cash except for:

If you require an interpreter, you’ll need to visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to book your appointment. 

For information on test and appointment fees go to Driver licence and learner permit fees.

At your appointment you can expect to: 

From August 2022, you won't need to pay the fee to have your learner permit card issued under the Motorist Package and Safe Driver Discount Program.

You need to complete your visit and the above tasks before you receive your Ls and can start your 120 hours of supervised driving.

What do I need to bring?

For your appointment you’ll need to bring:

  • your unsigned licence or learner permit application form [PDF] 
  • one 'Category A' evidence of identity document (e.g. Australian birth certificate or passport)
  • one 'Category B' evidence of identity document (e.g. Australian bank statement, student ID or Medicare card) 
  • evidence – less than 12 months old – of your current address (if your current address isn’t shown on the Category A or B evidence)
  • glasses or contact lenses if required for the eyesight test
  • overseas driver licence (or learner permit) verification documents if applicable.

If you don’t bring these documents, you won’t be able to get your learner permit.

Your learner permit card will be mailed to your postal address and takes about 10 business days to arrive. 

Until then, you’ll get a temporary learner permit as a receipt of proof that you have your learner permit. Make sure you’re carrying it at all times when driving with your supervising driver.

What if I already hold an overseas or interstate licence?

If you’re taking the Learner Permit Test as part of your overseas licence (or learner permit) conversion you’ll need to bring your verification documents with you to this appointment. 

Bring your current overseas driver licence or learner permit in English. If this isn’t in English, you’ll need an English translation or an international driving permit issued in the same country as your overseas driver licence. 

If you don’t have your overseas licence or learner permit, you’ll need to bring a letter from:

  • Your country’s driver licensing authority confirming your overseas licence or learner permit details or
  • Your country’s consulate or embassy in Australia advising that they have confirmed your overseas licence or learner permit with your country’s licensing authority.
How do I take the Learner Permit Test Online? 

Go to Learner Permit Test Online and follow the steps to get started.

What if I need to change or cancel my appointment for my test?

If you’re the person booked in for the test you can change your appointment.

To change your appointment, you’ll need to pay a transfer fee and transfer your test to a new time.

How do I change or cancel my appointment? 

You can change or cancel your appointment: 

Please note: If you fail to attend or cancel your appointment with less than 24 hours’ notice, you'll forfeit all fees paid.

Need more help?
Call 13 11 71 and speak to one of our friendly staff who can help.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).