Transfer number plates

You can transfer the rights to display a number plate to another person or company.

You can do this by either:

  • selling your vehicle with the number plates on the vehicle, or
  • signing the plates over to another person or company.

Custom and special interest plates (with the exception of Service club plates) can be transferred by signing them over to another person.

There is no plate transfer fee payable except if you purchased your plates prior to 3 March 2000 and still have an old style contract with VicRoads.

Complete the Transfer of Rights form [PDF 115 Kb] and submit to us by:

Following the transfer, if the purchaser wishes to display the plates on a vehicle registered in their name, they must contact VicRoads to arrange this. 

plate assignment fee will apply if the number plates have been assigned to a vehicle before.

If you purchased your plates prior to 3 March 2000, you will have an old style plates contract with us.

Under this contract, a transfer fee will apply to transfer the rights of these plates to another person, except for transfers to:

  • a vehicle registered in your name
  • your spouse
  • your child
  • your parent or
  • a company which you are a director.

However, if you change to a new style contract, at no cost, the transfer fee will no longer apply. To do either:

  • Write to VicRoads, Licence & Registration Services, GPO Box 1644, Melbourne, VIC 3001, or
  • call VicRoads on 13 11 71.

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...