Marine licence

To operate a registered boat in Victoria, you need a marine licence. To use Personal Watercrafts (PWC) like jet-skis, your marine licence needs a PWC endorsement. You can get a marine and PWC licence by taking a test, or by converting an interstate licence.

Who can apply?

You can get a marine licence if you:

  • are at least 12 years old
  • are at least 16 years old to get a Personal Watercraft Endorsement (PWC)
  • meet basic medical and eyesight tests

What tests do I need to take?

You’ll need to book for:

  • an eyesight test
  • a marine licence knowledge test
  • a Personal Watercraft (PWC) endorsement test (if you want to use a personal watercraft)

About the tests

The marine licence knowledge test has 30 multiple-choice questions and you’ll need to get at least 26 questions right to pass.

The PWC endorsement test has 15 multiple choice questions and you’ll need to get at least 13 right to pass. You can only get a PWC endorsement from when you’re 16 years old.

If you do your test at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre you’ll get results straight away and your marine licence if you’ve passed.

What are the costs?

Visit marine licence and appointment fees for more information.

What to bring:

How can I prepare?

Go to the Safe Transport Victoria website for more information, and to download the Boating and Safety Handbook.

To help you prepare and see if you're ready for the test, take the marine licence and PWC endorsement practice tests.

Where can I take the tests?

About test results

Your test results are valid for 12 months.

If you haven’t paid for your marine licence within 12 months of passing the test, you’ll need to take the test again.

Can I be exempt from the test?

You won’t need to take the marine knowledge test if you have:

  • an interstate marine licence that hasn’t expired more than five years
  • a valid Certificate of Attainment for your marine licence from an accredited training provider that is not more than 12 months old
  • a valid Certificate of Competency* - a list of valid Certificates of Competency is available at the Safe Transport Victoria website

I’ve got my certificate. What do I do?

If  you have a valid certificate go to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre with:

  • your original certificate from the accredited training provider
  • a completed application for a licence or permit form

What’s a restricted marine licence?

A restricted marine licence is for anyone under 16 years old and means that you can't:

  • operate a vessel between sunset and sunrise
  • tow a person, another vessel or an object, or
  • operate at a speed of 10 knots or more

You won’t be able to get a PWC endorsement until you’re 16 years old or over.

Can I apply for a restricted marine licence?

You can apply for a restricted marine licence if you’re between 12 and 16 years old.

When you’re 16:

  • you’ll get a full marine licence using the same card
  • you won’t have to follow the restrictions
  • you’ll be able to take the PWC (jet-ski) test if you want

For interstate marine licence holders

Do I need a Victorian marine licence?

You only need a Victorian marine licence if you’re going to operate a vessel for more than three months.

You’ll need to book for a licence changeover appointment to convert your interstate marine licence.

You can’t get a Victorian marine licence if your interstate marine licence has been suspended, cancelled or disqualified.

You can’t convert an overseas marine licence (including a marine licence issued in New Zealand) to Victorian. You’ll need to:

How do I convert my marine licence?

To convert an interstate marine licence you need to:

  • have a current marine licence (or expired less than five years ago)
  • have a licence that isn’t suspended, cancelled, or disqualified
  • meet basic medical and eyesight tests
  • provide proof of your interstate licence 

You'll also need to book an appointment to convert your marine licence. 

What to bring:

Any conditions on your interstate marine licence will be the same on your Victorian one.

Need more help?

If you need more help with your marine licence, call us on 13 11 71.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...