Get your motorcycle licence

So you've got your learner permit - congratulations! Find out the steps you need to take to get your motorcycle (including motor scooters) licence. 

To apply for your licence you'll need to follow these steps: 

  • you're 18 years or older
  • a Victorian resident
  • you have an Australian motorcycle learner permit for a continuous period of at least three months immediately before you apply or have held a motorcycle licence or hold, or have previously held an overseas motorcycle licence
  • you've completed a Check Ride (see below for more information)
  • not be subject to a Fines Victoria (External link) licence suspension, and
  • be medically fit to ride. If you’ve got a medical condition or take prescribed medication which may affect your fitness to ride, you’ll need to provide the relevant medical reports to us before you book your assessment. If you’re not sure if you’ll need to supply medical reports call us on 13 11 71.

To get a motorcycle licence in Victoria you'll need to pass the following:

  • an eyesight test
  • a hazard perception test (not required if you already have a driver licence)
  • a Check Ride (see below for further details). This is to be done at least 1 month before going for your motorcycle licence
  • complete your motorcycle licence assessment

The assessment is delivered the same at all training centres across Victoria. To book your assessment, get in touch with an accredited training and testing provider.

What to bring?

You’ll need to bring the following 

  • your original evidence of identity documents
  • a completed licence or learner permit application form [PDF 205 Kb]
  • long sleeve top and long pants to protect your skin
  • closed in footwear; boots or runners (generally a low heal is best)
  • lunch and water. At some locations there’s take-away food shops nearby but it’s a good idea to check beforehand
  • protective eyewear e.g. sunglasses. If you’re required to wear prescription glasses, then you must wear them during the course and assessment period
  • wet weather riding gear (if applicable on the day)
  • an approved high visibility vest.
Your training and testing provider may make available the following items. We recommend confirming with the provider beforehand to confirm their availability.
  • a fully registered, roadworthy learner approved motorcycle. You can bring your own motorcycle, but it must meet the same requirements
  • an approved motorcycle helmet
  • an approved high-visibility vest
  • protective eyewear
  • wet weather riding gear (if applicable on the day).

The assessment is delivered the same at all training centres across Victoria. The course fee may vary depending on which accredited provider you choose. To make a booking, get in touch with your local accredited training and testing provider.

To help you prepare for your motorcycle assessment, we recommend that you:

Once you've passed your licence assessment you'll be issued with a Victorian motorcycle licence. The type of licence depends on whether you already have a driver licence or not. Visit What type of motorcycle licence will I be issued below for more details. 

A licensing fee is payable and will be collected by your training and testing provider. The amount will vary depending on which provider you choose. 

You'll need to carry your payment receipt as a temporary licence until you receive your licence card. Your new card will be posted to you.

A new photo may be required if your existing photo is over 5 years old. The provider will tell you if you need to visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have a new photo taken.

A Check Ride is a half-day coaching course that includes:

  • an off-road review of your braking, steering and low speed manoeuvring skills
  • an on-road coaching ride on a pre-determined route.
It’s not required in the following circumstances:
  • you converted your interstate motorcycle permit (issued before 2 April 2016) to a Victorian motorcycle learner permit
  • you converted your overseas motorcycle licence to a Victorian licence
  • you previously held or currently hold an overseas motorcycle licence

On-road coaching

The road ride is conducted on a pre-determined route designed to encounter a wide range of riding environments including:

  • multi-lane highways
  • narrow country roads
  • shopping centres
  • hills and bends.  

The length of time for the ride is determined by traffic and weather conditions.

You'll be riding with a group (up to 5 participants) and your instructor  will provide feedback on your ride and discuss practical ways to reduce the risk of crashing. You'll be taking turns on leading the ride with the instructor observing your riding skills.

How do I prepare for my Check Ride?

To get the most out of your Check Ride it’s important that you’ve ridden enough to be confident in traffic and comfortable to travel at the speed limit. Don’t rush. Everyone’s riding develops at a different rate. Start in quiet areas and try more difficult situations once you’ve mastered the easy ones. We also recommend reading the Victorian Rider handbook [PDF 7.75 Mb].

The licence assessment involves:

  • an off-road riding skill assessment, and
  • an on-road safe riding assessment.
The off-road assessment checks your ability to safely control a motorcycle.  This includes: 
  • a controlled stop
  • a sharp left turn
  • a slow ride
  • a change of path
  • safe path through a curve and a quick stop.

On-road assessment

After demonstrating competency in all of the off-road tasks, your riding skills are then assessed on-road. The length of time is dependent  on your location of the assessment, traffic and weather conditions.  

In addition to motorcycle control, during the on-road ride you are assessed on your safe riding behaviours (roadcraft), including; 

  • observation skills, 
  • safe speed choice, and
  • lane position.

You’ll need to maintain control of your motorcycle at all times and demonstrate your understanding of the road rules. Any loss of control, dangerous behaviour or breach of the road rules will result in a failed assessment.

Observation skills

You are assessed on your ability to read the traffic, look for hazards and make safe decisions whilst riding.  

Observation skills includes; 

  • performing ‘head checks’ when joining the traffic
  • turning at intersections
  • change lanes, merging and diverging 
  • checking it is safe to proceed at intersections and traffic lights
  • looking in direction of travel when moving off and turning

Safe speed choice

Choosing a safe speed is critical to safe riding on-road. You’ll be assessed on your ability to recognise and respond to situations where you need to slow down.  However, if traffic and weather conditions allow you’ll need to demonstrate confidently travelling at the speed limit. You’ll also need to maintain a safe gap when behind other vehicles at all times.

Lane position

Moving away (buffering) from hazards such as other vehicles and pedestrians is essential to safe riding. You’ll be assessed on your ability to choose a safe and legal position on the road that maximises space from hazards. 

Once you've passed your licence assessment, the type of licence issued to you (probationary or a restricted full licence) will depend on: 

  • If you already hold a Victorian driver licence, your motorcycle licence category 'R' will be added to your driver licence. 
  • If your driver licence is probationary, the motorcycle probationary period will end at the same time as your driver licence probationary period. All novice riders are subject to restrictions and conditions for a prescribed period of time.
  • If you don't have a driver licence and you're under 21 years of age, you'll be issued with a four year motorcycle probationary licence. The first year is the probationary P1 period and the following three years are the probationary P2 period. The probationary and motorcycle restrictions will apply.
  • If you're 21 years or older, you'll be issued with a three year motorcycle probationary P2 licence. The probationary and motorcycle restrictions will apply.
  • If you have held an interstate or overseas motorcycle licence from your 18th birthday, for at least three years, you'll be issued a full motorcycle licence without the novice rider restrictions.
  • If you haven't held your motorcycle licence for at least three years from your 18th birthday and you don't hold a driver licence, you'll be issued a Victorian motorcycle probationary licence, minus the period you've held your interstate or overseas licence. The probationary and motorcycle restrictions will apply. Visit Interstate and New Zealand drivers or Overseas drivers to find out how to transfer your motorcycle licence.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...