Get your motorcycle Ls

If you're 18 or older and live in Victoria, you can apply to get your motorcycle (including motor scooter) learner permit.

Motorist Package and the Safe Driver Discount

The Victorian Government is helping to reduce financial barriers for motorists and rewarding safe driving with a new package to help Victorians with reduced learner permit and probationary licence fees. Under this new package, the first attempt to take the Learner Permit Test Online and Hazard Perception Test Online is now free. This package also rewards all Victorians for their safe driving habits when they go to renew their licence. Please note: Drive Test fees still remain.

Learn more about the package here

To get your learner permit, simply follow these steps:

You'll need to be:

  • 18 years old or older
  • a Victorian resident
  • not disqualified from holding or getting a Victorian learner permit
  • not be subject to a Fines Victoria (External link) licence sanction
  • medically fit to ride. If you have a medical condition or take prescribed medication which may affect your ability to ride a motorcycle you'll need to provide the relevant medical reports to us before you book your assessment. You may be required to have an initial assessment to establish your capacity to ride a motorcycle. If you're not sure call our medical review team on 13 11 71 for further information.

To get a motorcycle (including motor scooters) learner permit in Victoria you’ll need to successfully complete a two-day course. This course is designed to prepare riders for riding on the road. To help you prepare for your test we recommend you read the Victorian Rider handbook [PDF 7.75 Kb].

Your two-day learner course will include:
  • an eyesight test
  • a learner permit knowledge test 
  • an on-road and off-road assessment 

Your motorcycle knowledge test is a paper-based test consisting of 32 questions. You’ll need to answer 25 questions correctly to pass (78% pass mark).

You’ll receive coaching in safe riding techniques and be progressively trained and assessed. The training is held at an off-road training centre. There will be two assessments involving on and off road at the end of Day 2.

Course outline 

Day 1

  • Basic riding skills. How to use the controls; mirrors, brakes, gears, etc.
  • How to get moving, stop, turn and change gears
  • A discussion on the unique aspects of motorcycling
  • An introduction to roadcraft tactics
  • What to look for when buying riding gear
  • Motorcycle knowledge assessment

Day 2

  • Slow speed manoeuvring skills
  • Steering and cornering
  • Emergency braking 
  • Strategies for safe riding
  • A simulated road ride (off-road assessment on the training pad)
  • An on-road assessment

On-road assessment

Before you ride on-road you’ll need to show that you have good control of the motorcycle by repeating some riding exercises that you’ve learnt over the course.   

The on-road component is a ‘real world’ assessment on safe riding behaviours. The riding instructor will take you out in a group to a pre-determined area to assess your ability to manage your motorcycle and understanding of the road rules. During the assessment, you will take turns to lead the group (including your instructor) through the route. You’ll be familiarised with the route prior to leading. Please note: It is not a navigational exercise, so if you get lost, you will not be penalised. 

What to bring 

You’ll need to bring the following:

  • your original evidence of identity documents
  • a completed licence or learner permit application form [PDF 205 Kb].
  • long sleeve top and long pants to protect your skin
  • closed-in footwear; boots or runners (generally a low heel is best)
  • lunch and water.  At some locations there’s take-away food shops nearby but it’s a good idea to check beforehand
  • protective eyewear e.g. sunglasses. If you’re required to wear prescription glasses, then you must wear them during the course and assessment period
  • wet weather riding gear (if applicable on the day)
Your training and testing provider may make available the following items. We recommend confirming with the provider beforehand to confirm their availability. 
  • fully registered, roadworthy learner approved motorcycle. You can bring your own motorcycle, but it must meet the same requirements
  • an approved motorcycle helmet
  • an approved high-visibility vest
  • eye protection
  • wet weather riding gear (if applicable on the day)

The two-day learner course is the same at all training centres across Victoria. The course fee will vary depending on which accredited provider you choose. To make a booking, get in touch with your local accredited training and testing provider.

Once you've successfully completed the course you'll be issued with your motorcycle learner permit card. Your permit is valid for 15 months. There are conditions and restrictions applicable to your permit including the motorcycle engine capacity.

To help you prepare for your motorcycle assessment, we recommend that you:

  • read the Victorian Rider handbook, and
  • sign up to myVicRoads so that you can check your licence status. If your licence isn’t current, or you have a Fines Victoria (External link) sanction when you take an assessment, the test results won’t be valid and you’ll need to pay for a new test.

Once you've passed your course you'll be issued with a Victorian learner permit for 15 months. 

The permit fee will be collected by your accredited training and testing provider who will also issue you with your learner permit receipt. Your permit receipt needs to carried with you at all times until you receive your motorcycle learner permit card which will be posted to your address listed with us.

The next step is you must complete a Check Ride at least one month before you can go for your licence assessment.

A Check Ride is not required in the following circumstances:

  • Applicants who convert their interstate motorcycle permit (issued before 2 April 2016) to a Victorian motorcycle learner permit
  • Applicants who convert their overseas motorcycle licence to a Victorian licence and
  • Applicants who have previously held or currently hold an overseas motorcycle licence


Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...