Overseas drivers

How to use your overseas licence in Victoria. If you're just visiting, here's some information about our road rules. 

Converting your o/s licence?

From 16 October, 2017, if your licence is from a non-recognised country, you’ll need to call us on 13 11 71 to make a licence verification appointment before you do anything else.

Read below to find out if your licence is recognised or not. 

For VISA holders

If you’ve got a temporary VISA:

  • You can use your overseas licence while here
  • You don’t need a Victorian driver licence and/or learner permit
  • You’ll need an English translation of your licence or an international driving permit (if your licence isn’t in English)

If you’ve got a permanent VISA:

  • You can drive for six months (from when you arrived in Australia) or 6 months from when you were granted your permanent visa (if you were in Australia at that time)
  • You’ll need a Victorian licence to keep driving after six months
  • If your overseas licence is expired you can still take the drive test, however to practice or learn to drive you’ll require a Learner permit
  • You can drive if you’ve got an English translation of your licence or an international driving permit (if your licence isn’t in English)
  • You can’t use any other driver licence after you get your Victorian licence

Can I use an international driving permit?

Yes, you can but this needs to:

  • be carried with your overseas licence
  • come from the country it was issued
  • comply with the United Nations convention for international driving permits
  • be in English.

Can I use my overseas learner permit?

No, you can’t use your learner permit here to drive, but you can take the Road law knowledge test at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre if you want to get a Victorian licence. 

How to get your Victorian driver licence

First, we’ll check your overseas licence to see if your driving experience is valid. 

You might get a full or probationary Victorian licence, but it depends on your age (you have to be at least 18 years old) and how long you’ve been driving.  

You’ll get a P1 probationary licence if:

  • you’re under 21 years old and
  • you’ve had your overseas licence for less than 12 months from when you turned 18.

You’ll get a P2 probationary licence if:

  • you're 21 years of age or older and haven't had a driver licence or
  • have a driver licence given on probation from interstate or overseas and have had it for less than three years from your 18th birthday or
  • you’re under 21 years of age and have had an interstate or overseas licence for more than 12 months from your 18th birthday.

You’ll get a full licence if:

  • you’re over 21 years old and
  • you’ve had your probationary driver licence for at least three years or
  • have or have had a full driver licence overseas.

Who can’t get a licence here?

You can’t get a Victorian driver licence if your overseas licence is:

  • suspended
  • cancelled
  • disqualified
Your licence is recognised if it’s from any of these countries below. This means you won’t need to take the tests, however you’ll still need to make appointment with us to change over your licence.
Recognised countries and jurisdictions
Austria Germany
Isle of Man (1) Norway
Belgium Greece
Italy Portugal
Canada (3) Guernsey
Japan Singapore
Croatia Bosnia & Herzegovina
Jersey Spain
Denmark Ireland
Malta (2) Sweden
Finland UK Netherlands (Holland) Switzerland
USA   Luxembourg  

(1) for licences first issued on or after 1 April 1991
(2) for licences first issued on or after 2 Jan 2004
(3) licences from Ontario Canada must be surrendered and returned to the licensing authority

Your driver experience is recognised if it’s from any of the countries below. This means you don’t need to take the tests, however you’ll still need to make appointment with us to change over your licence. If you’re under 25 years old, and your driver experience is recognised, you’ll still need to take the tests. 

Driver experience recognised
Bulgaria Hong Kong (5)
(must be held for 12 months)
Lithuania Slovenia
Czech Republic Hungary Poland South Africa
of Cyprus (4)
Republic of Korea (South Korea) Romania Taiwan
Estonia Latvia Slovakia  Serbia

(4) Must be accompanied by one of the following a Cypriot Passport or Cyprus Identity card or letter of verification from the Cyprus High Commission of Canberra
(5) The Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.

If you’re from New Zealand and have a current driver licence, go to interstate drivers to see more.

My overseas driver licence isn’t recognised in Victoria 

You’ll need to call us on 13 11 71 to make a licence verification appointment if: 

  • your overseas licence isn’t listed in any of the above tables OR
  • your driver experience is recognised but you’re under 25 years old.

You’ll also need to take three tests at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre:

You can make a booking:

* A credit card fee applies

** All VicRoads Customer Service Centre's accept cash except for:


What if I need to change my appointment? 

You can book a new time or cancel:


You can only change your appointment and transfer your test fee if:

  • you made the booking 
  • you give us at least 24 hours notice.


If you don’t give us at least 24 hours notice:

  • You’ll lose your booking 
  • You’ll lose your test fees 
  • You won’t be able to get a refund.


If you’re more than five minutes late on the day you’ll need to: 

  • make a new booking
  • pay a new fee.

Concessions can’t be used for any of these fees. 


I need an interpreter

We can get you an interpreter to help with your tests or to help if you’re hearing impaired. 

You’ll need to go to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre where you want to take the tests so we can help with your booking.

Bring your:

If you don’t have your overseas licence

Bring a letter from: 

  • Your country’s driver licensing authority confirming your overseas licence details or
  • Your country’s consul in Australia who have confirmed your overseas licence with your country’s licensing authority.

If you have an overseas heavy vehicle licence you can: 

Need more help?

If you need more help with your overseas licence, call 13 11 71 and speak to one of our friendly staff who can help. 

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...