How to get your Ls

Find out how to apply for your car learner permit in Victoria.

How old do you have to be to go for your Ls? 

You must be at least 16 years or older and live in Victoria to apply.

I’m ready to take the tests, what do I do?

First, check that you’ve done the following: 

If you’re ready to take the tests, click on the link below to make an appointment. 

Make a booking

For other licence types

Go to Licence and permit types for more

If you have an overseas licence

Go to overseas licence for more.

If you’re not ready to go for your Ls, follow the steps below to help you prepare.

How do I prepare?

You can prepare for the learner permit knowledge test using the Road to Solo Driving handbook. The test is based on all chapters in this book.

Is there a practice test I can take?

Yes, you can check your learning with our online car practice test.

How many questions are in the test?

The test is done on the computer and has 32 questions. You need to get at least 25 questions right to pass, which equals 78%. Your pass result will be valid for 12 months. 

Is the test available in other languages? 

Yes, the test is available in these languages: 

Albanian, Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese (Mandarin), English, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Serbian, Sinhalese, Somali, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese.

What about other languages?

For other languages where you may need an interpreter, you’ll need to go to the VicRoads Customer Service Centre in person to make your appointment. 

Where do I take the test?

You’ll need to take the tests at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre

You can book and pay for your learner knowledge test:

* A card payment fee (External link) applies

** All VicRoads Customer Service Centre's accept cash except for:

What fees do I have to pay?

Your learner permit test fees are broken down into two parts: 

  • an appointment booking fee and 
  • a test fee.

Go to Driver licence and learner permit fees to learn more.

What if I have a medical condition?

If your ability to drive is affected by an illness, disability, medical condition or injury or because of the effect of the treatment of any of those things, you’ll need to get medical report(s) for our Medical Review team before you make the appointment to take the tests.

Go to Medical conditions and driving for more information or call us on 13 11 71 so we can help.

Can I change my appointment?

Yes, if you’re the person booked in for the test you can change your appointment. To change your appointment, you’ll need to pay a new fee and transfer your test to a new time. 

How do I change my appointment? 

* A card payment fee (External link) applies

** All VicRoads Customer Service Centre's accept cash except for:

What if I need to cancel my appointment?

If you need to cancel your appointment, you'll receive a refund for the test fee if you give us at least 24 hours notice. 

Download and print the licence or learner permit application form [PDF 118 Kb]

What do I need to complete?

In the form fill out these sections:

  • What are you applying for? 
  • Your personal and contact details 
  • Your health details 
  • Your licence/learner permit record 
  • Additional details (if required)

Don’t sign the form 

Bring the unsigned form with you to your appointment at VicRoads so you can sign it there.

What tests do I need to take? 

There are two tests you’ll need to take: 

  • The knowledge test (10-30 minutes)
  • The eyesight test (5 minutes)

What do I need to bring?

You’ll need:

your unsigned learner permit application form [PDF 830 Kb] (see Step 3)

If you don’t bring these documents, you won’t be able to take the tests.

What if I’m running late to the appointment?

If you’re more than five minutes late, you’ll need to make a new appointment and pay another appointment fee.

Once you've passed the test, you'll be issued with a Victorian learner permit.

At the VicRoads Customer Service Centre you’ll:

You’ll also get a receipt as proof of your Ls that you can use to drive, until you receive your learner permit card. This receipt is valid for 3 months, or until the day that you receive your learner permit card in the mail.

When will I get my card? 

Your learner permit card will be sent in the mail to your postal address and you should get it within 15 business days.

Need more help?

Call 13 11 71 and speak to one of our friendly staff who can help.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...