Get a Certificate of Roadworthiness

A Certificate of Roadworthiness is required when a vehicle is sold, if a used vehicle is to be re-registered or, in some cases to clear a Vehicle Defect. It is only issued by a licensed vehicle tester.

Brand new vehicles and some vehicles that were not designed primarily for carrying passengers or goods on a highway and considered to be a specially constructed vehicle are exempt from requiring a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

Who issues certificates

A Certificate of Roadworthiness can only be issued when a vehicle is passed by a licensed vehicle tester, operating from a nominated garage or service station. A certificate is only issued when a vehicle passes the inspection.

Find out more about the Roadworthiness scheme.

Find a Licensed vehicle tester

How long does a certificate remain current

A current certificate of roadworthiness, required for the purpose of registering or transferring a vehicle, is one that has been issued not more than 30 days prior to any application for the registration or transfer.

Note: This is not a guarantee that a vehicle with a roadworthy certificate will necessarily continue to remain in a roadworthy condition for 30 days from the date the certificate was issued.

The cost of certificate

The cost of obtaining a certificate is not fixed and can depend on the age, type and the condition of the vehicle. You can ask for a quote from a Licensed Vehicle Tester.

If the vehicle fails the test

If an item fails to meet the requirements, the tester will issue a rejection report. You will be given 7 calendar days* to repair or replace the rejected items and have those rejected item inspected again. If more than 7 calendar days* elapse, a full inspection is then required.

*Public holidays aren't included in this 7 day period.


What is inspected

The inspection is a check of the vehicle to ensure that the key components are in a fit condition for safe road use. It includes:

  • wheels and tyres
  • steering, suspensions and braking systems
  • seats and seatbelts
  • lights and reflectors
  • windscreen, and windows including front wipers and washers
  • vehicle structure
  • other safety related items on the body, chassis or engine.

View the Vehicle standards information VSI26 - Roadworthiness requirements [PDF 415 Kb] for further information on the Inspection standards for the Roadworthiness test.

What is not inspected

The roadworthiness test is not a check of the mechanical reliability or general condition of the vehicle.

The certificate does not mean:

  • that the vehicle is in top condition without any wear or deterioration
  • non-safety related accessories such as the air conditioner, rear window demister, electric windows and rear-window wipers are working
  • that the items checked during the roadworthy inspection will continue to function after the inspection e.g. a brake light can stop functioning at any time after the inspection.

The roadworthiness test is not a complete assessment of a vehicle’s compliance with the Standards for Registration, which in most cases are the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). The ADRs are set a set of minimum standards for the construction of motor vehicles and trailers. Compliance with these standards cannot be assessed by inspection alone. 

If you require a comprehensive vehicle inspection 

If you require a comprehensive check on the overall condition and reliability of the vehicle then you should arrange for a separate independent vehicle inspection report.

If you don’t agree with the outcome of your roadworthiness inspection you can take the following steps:

  1. Check that the component in question is part of the roadworthy test within the Vehicle Standards Information (VSI) 26 – Roadworthiness requirements [PDF 415 Kb]. Contact the tester who issued the certificate and explain your concerns.
  2. If you have not resolved the issue, obtain an independent roadworthy inspection from another Licensed Vehicle Tester to support your claim and present it to the first tester.
  3. If the independent inspection confirms your concerns and the original tester will not cooperate, then notify us by:
    • mailing a written complaint and supporting documents to
      VicRoads, Vehicle Fitness Section
      60 Denmark Street
      KEW 3101
    • or
    • email your complaint and supporting documents to: [email protected].

What are your legal rights

We don't have the authority to make the tester fix your vehicle or compensate you. These are matters for civil action. You can get legal advice, take your dispute to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) or the Magistrates court. Where a vehicle is purchased from a Licensed Motor Car Trader (LMCT), Consumer Affairs may be able to assist resolving the matter.

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...