Change of gender

VicRoads record your gender and title. These details are recorded but do not appear on your licence and/or learner permit card(s).

Change of gender only

You can change your gender by visiting a VicRoads Customer Service Centre with your new birth certificate issued by Births, Deaths & Marriages (BDM).

Change of name and gender

A birth certificate issued by BDM (Births, Deaths & Marriages) for a change of gender does not contain any history of name changes. 

If you have changed both your name and gender you must provide your new birth certificate and an original letter of verification issued by (BDM) and present it to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre

If BDM has not provided you with a letter of verification you can request a letter of verification by email to Births, Deaths & Marriages (External link)

For further information regarding name changes, see Change of name.

If you have changed your appearance, you will need a new photo taken at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre and you will be issued with a new learner permit and/or licence card. No fee is applicable for your new card.

Title change

A title is used for correspondence (e.g. Mr, Mrs). It does not appear on a Victorian driver licence card.

Documentation is not required to change your title.

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...