Trade apprentice registration discount
Are you a trade apprentice using your car for work? If so, you could be eligible for a discount on your next annual renewal!
About the discount
If you’re eligible for the trade apprentice discount you can get 50% off your 12-month car registration and Transport Accident Charge renewal fee.
Am I eligible?
You’re eligible for this discount (or a refund of the discounted amount) if you meet the following criteria:
Please note, this discount is not applicable for:
- learner drivers
- 6 month registration renewals
- applicants with expired, cancelled or suspended licences
- more than one car per applicant
- cars registered in someone else’s name
- cars with any other concessions (except for hybrid and electric passenger vehicle concessions) - you can apply to have your concession removed by calling 13 11 71.
How to apply
1. Gather your information
To apply online you’ll need to provide your:
- First name, last name, date of birth, email and phone number
- VRQA registration number (you can usually find this on letters from the VRQA or you can call your Apprenticeship Support Network Provider)
- registration number of your car that you use for work
- driver licence number.
2. Complete an online application
To complete your application you’ll need to:
- set up your myvicroads account (if you’ve already registered with myvicroads, log in and scroll to the bottom of the page to find the link to the trade apprentice discount application)
- make sure your employer is supportive of your application. Even if you’re approved, if your employer can’t verify you're using your car for work purposes, you’ll be sent an invoice for the amount you need to make up.
If you’re eligible, you’ll be approved on the spot and can pay your discounted rego online. If you're having trouble applying or can't find what you're looking for visit our Customer Help Centre.
* A card payment fee applies for VISA and MasterCard transactions.
What happens next?
Once you've applied for your discount or refund, we’ll process your application within 7 working days.
If your registration is due to expire during this time (and you need to use the car on the road), please pay the full registration fee to make sure your vehicle stays registered. We’ll give you a refund if you're eligible.
If you've been approved for a refund, we'll send you a cheque in the post. If you don't receive your cheque within 14 working days of your confirmation email, please call us on 13 11 71.
Trade apprentice vs concession savings
Utes and vehicles that can carry a load.
For example a Toyota Hilux
Sedans, hatches, coupes. station wagons and other cars