Transfer a trailer or caravan

When you buy, sell, or gift a second hand Victorian registered trailer or caravan (to be referred to collectively as 'trailer'), you must notify VicRoads of the transfer within 14 days of taking possession of the trailer.

The process to transfer a trailer is the same as for a vehicle, more information can be found on the buy or sell pages.

You will need to submit the following items for a transfer to be completed:

The vehicle transfer form has been created as a guide to assist you through your vehicle sale or purchase. 

VicRoads recommends that you refer to the pre-transfer checklist on the form and complete all the steps to ensure your transfer goes smoothly.

Check the registration status

Check that the Victorian registration is current (i.e. is not suspended or cancelled) and that the trailer is not subject to any sanctions that will prevent the registration transfer by completing a registration check.

If you’re buying a trailer, you should also check that there’s no money owing on the vehicle, it's not reported stolen or recorded as written-off by visiting the Personal Property Security Register (PPSR) (External link)  or by calling 1300 007 777.

Ensure the buyer has a VicRoads customer number 

A VicRoads customer number is a unique number issued by VicRoads to individuals or companies. This number is needed to complete the transfer form.

For individuals

Your VicRoads customer number is your learner permit or driver licence number. If you don’t have a licence but have a vehicle registered in your name, the customer number is recorded on your registration renewal notice.

If you don’t have a Victorian licence or VicRoads customer number, you must visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre and provide full evidence of identity  documents. 

For companies

The VicRoads customer number of your company is on your company's myVicRoads account, or any registration renewal notice issued for vehicles registered in your company’s name.

If your company doesn’t have a VicRoads customer number, you must visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre and provide full evidence of identity documents for your company.

The personal details of the individual acting on behalf of your company will also need to be recorded on the transfer form.

Get a roadworthy certificate (heavy trailers only)

If you're transferring a heavy trailer, you'll need an original roadworthy certificate issued not more than 30 days before the date of sale. 

Before the sale

As the buyer, make sure you check that the person selling the vehicle is the registered operator and has the right to transfer the vehicle. Ask the seller for photo identification and the vehicle's certificate of registration/registration renewal or renewal or confirm that the vehicle is recorded in the seller's myVicRoads account. 

Check that the vehicle identification number (VIN) on the physical trailer matches the certificate of registration, registration renewal or registration check (External link) details. The VIN must be stamped on the trailer as well as visible on the compliance plate.

Receipt of sale

We recommend that you write a receipt as proof of sale and keep a copy or photo for your records. VicRoads has a receipt template that you can use to ensure you've recorded all the information you need, but if you don't want to use this template then make sure your receipt includes:

  • date and time of sale
  • your name and address
  • the seller's name, address and signature
  • the trailer's registration number, VIN or chassis number, make and model

Complete the transfer form

Download the vehicle transfer form [PDF 678 Kb] or get one from a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. To complete the form:

  1. The seller must complete the 'seller details' section
    1. if the seller is selling the vehicle on behalf of a company, their personal details must be recorded in the appropriate 'Representative' section of the transfer form
  2. the buyer must complete the 'buyer details' section
    1. ensure that a VicRoads customer number is recorded for the buyer
    2. if the buyer is buying the vehicle on behalf of a company, their personal details must be recorded in the appropriate 'Representative' section of the transfer form
    3. if the buyer intends for a representative to lodge the transfer on their behalf, ensure that their details are recorded in the 'Representative' section of the vehicle transfer form
  3. use the transfer fee calculator to determine the transfer fee and motor vehicle duty payable
  4. ensure both the buyer and the seller sign the completed transfer form
  5. take a photo or photocopy of the form once completed to make sure you have proof of transfer

Make sure that all the details on the transfer form are complete and correct. Otherwise the transfer will not be processed.

Within 14 days of transfer, it is the responsibility of the buyer to submit to VicRoads:

By either:

If someone is lodging the transfer with VicRoads on your behalf, ensure that their details are recorded in the 'Representative' fields on the vehicle transfer form and that they bring their evidence of identity to VicRoads.

Sellers can now notify VicRoads of the transfer online through their myVicRoads account.

Simply log into your myVicRoads account to transfer the trailer out of your name. You can only do this if you have the buyer’s Victorian licence number (or VicRoads customer number) and surname (or ACN for companies).

Buyers can’t complete transfers online just yet, but we’re working on it!

Dealer sales

When you complete a transfer with a dealer, it is the dealer’s responsibility to complete the transfer. All you need to do is pay the applicable transfer fee and motor vehicle duty to the dealer and sign the transfer form. Make sure you keep a copy of the completed transfer form, roadworthy certificate (heavy trailer) and contract of sale.

Interstate purchases

Visit the interstate transfers page to find information on:

  • Transferring your vehicle from interstate
  • Selling/sold your Victorian registered vehicle to an interstate buyer
  • Buying an interstate vehicle as a Victorian
  • Buying/bought a Victorian vehicle as an interstate buyer
  • Buying a Victorian vehicle as an overseas licensed driver

Other types of transfers 

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).